New Sloping Soffit/Facsia

• Thread starter RedHerring2
  • Start date
R

RedHerring2

I'd appreciate the experts advice on a little matter.
The existing hip rafter finishes on the corner and the sloping soffit is visible inside, side and rear.
Exisitng Rear:
View media item 33837This is because the original kitchen/outside loo (Rear Elevation) had a roof line lower than the rest of the bungalow.

The new extension kitchen/new bathroom roof line will match the rest of the rear elevation and the side elevation as picture below:
View media item 33844
So the Sloping Soffit will only appear on the side elevation, no longer on the rear elevation.

Sectional diagram shown here:
View media item 33845
The trusses are arriving in a couple of weeks time. the Girder Truss is shown here:
View media item 33840
And the layout diagram shows that the hip rafter will not finish at the corner of the building, as it used to.
View media item 33841
So how do I finish off this new sloping soffit outside? It's only about 1M long.
Do I just make up a bit of a Gable Ladder to accommodate this sloping soffit detail?

Sponsored Links
I guess the fascia detail will end up looking similar to a half hip no?

vadsobedhus01-med.jpg

Precisely, I think, Noseall.
Is that achieved by a partial gable ladder and fudging the soffits/facsias to meet?

And I guess dry verge is out of the question?
So it's got to be undercloak and mortar finish, yes?

Sponsored Links
The finishing details to the soffits and fascias are largely cosmetic once the main rafters have been installed. For example, you can extend an existing rafter by birds-mouthing another piece of timber onto the wallplate along side the main rafter and spike the one to the other.

So, with this in mind, the obvious thing to do is primarily to match existing detail using softwood cradling etc.

The finishing to the verges on this particular extended hip will look neater with mortar bedding and cloak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back