new solid oak floor laid, what next... sanding etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder in you chaps could offer some advice please.

I've recently laid a solid oak floor, 6" plank width.
Most of the planks are level, but there are the odd one or two that are a mm higher than the previous one.

What grade would I start with, to level these discrepancies?
Is there a preferable order of different grades to use.

I'm going to try my belt sander first, and if it's too time consuming I'll rent a big floor sander (not looking forward to the dust!)

I'm intending to use Fiddes or Osmo wax oil when sanded.

I've 60m2 to do.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Mr Chibs, good evening.

I am assuming you have laid reclaimed boards?

As for a belt sander??? the wood is really quite hard, I would think that the relativly 2thin" belt sander could in effect gouge grooves in the timber.

If it were me i would look towards a floor sander??

Ken.

Cheers

No it's not reclaimed, it's new, the planks are smooth, but some are slightly proud to each other.
Overall the surface is smooth, but currently unfinished.

I assumed I'd flat the high bits and maybe a quick 'once' over before oiling.

Sponsored Links
Anyone any thoughts, on the starting grade of sandpaper, I had read 24 grit, was thinking this would be too course, as they are not reclaimed.

Think I might consider a floor sander, can get a weekend deal for £50 for floor and edge sander... or so I thought before you ad belts, pads and dustbags, more than likely be £100. They only do 4 grades, so I guess it's answered my original question.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back