Sanding New Oak Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Only a couple (but awkward) planks to lay on my new solid oak floor.

I am going to finish it with Osmo Polyx oil but does anyone have any advice on sanding? I was going to gently hand sand anywhere where there was a raised grain, marks, or sharp endges between boards. Was thinking of a 180 sandpaper.

Is the above the right approach. Also, when you have finished the snading, how best do you remove the dust - I read somewhere that a little white spirit on a rag is useful - is this right?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Damian30 said:
I am going to finish it with Osmo Polyx oil but does anyone have any advice on sanding? I was going to gently hand sand anywhere where there was a raised grain, marks, or sharp endges between boards. Was thinking of a 180 sandpaper.

Is the above the right approach. Also, when you have finished the snading, how best do you remove the dust - I read somewhere that a little white spirit on a rag is useful - is this right?

Many thanks,
180 grit is not good for oiling I'm afraid, it will fill the 'pores' to much and the oil will not be absorbed. To prepare a floor for oiling don't' use anything 'higher' than 120 grit.
After sanding, use a broom and then a proper vacuum cleaner.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another quick question - I have to fit a 'T' shaped threshold which is a couple of centimetres wider than where the door sits. Do I cut the thshold to the full width of the door jam (and undercut the door jam so the extra width is hidden under the door jam; or do I cut the threshold around the door jam?

I also need to get some cork from you and will drop you an email in the week.

Thanks again,

Damian

Hi Damian

We normally go for the second option, cutting the T-bar so it sits snug against the door jam.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thank for replying again.

One last question - I've nailed the floor down but the very last row is going to be only 1.5cm wide and is to thin to nail. I have some PVA and also normal wood glue - can I use either of these to glue the last row to the tongue of the previous row or do I need a special glue?

Thansk again,

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back