New stair baserail, hsndrail, spindles etc with half wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was looking for some guidance and assistance here if at all possible. I'm looking to put a new handrail, baserail, spindles and Newell posts etc on my staircase (please ignore the carpet!! It's a rennovation project, honest). Hopefully as you can see from the pictures, the wall only goes up half way so I am unable to fit a half Newell post etc at the point where the wall cuts off. I'm just stuck with how I can do it, I'm unsure how I could have it towards the top with the wall cutting it off, the handrail would be tiny (and might look a little silly).

Also, the old Newell post was part wood, part steel or iron and is cemented into the floor. I've tried to take a picture below. Would anyone have any ideas of how best to remove it?

Any help on all of the issues above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Sponsored Links
Not quite understanding "wall only goes half up" re: the angle iron/concrete base, have you tried hitting the metal with a sledge hammer side to side, to see whether it will slacken?
Looking at your pics it looks like you need to cut the top newel post so that the upper part is half thickness and screws against 1st level wall! ...pinenot :)

Not quite understanding "wall only goes half up" re: the angle iron/concrete base, have you tried hitting the metal with a sledge hammer side to side, to see whether it will slacken?
Looking at your pics it looks like you need to cut the top newel post so that the upper part is half thickness and screws against 1st level wall! ...pinenot :)

Hi pinenot,

Thanks for your reply. RE: the iron post, I haven't tried that, simply because we made the mistake of laying new tiles before deciding to have spindles etc, I'm worried about any damage brut force will cause...I have since looked on Google and how found a similar situation but someone used a reciprocating saw? I think I'll try that, see how it goes.

With regards to the newell post etc. I've never done anything like this before so I'm not good at explaining what I mean sorry :oops:. So if I've read your reply correctly, I can still use a newell? to be honest I'm unsure what you mean by cutting it down, width wise as well as height? Also, Where would I attach the newell post? on the wall or the top of the stairs? and would I need a full or half newell?

Sorry about all the questions :LOL: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

Here's a sketch of what I mean
hope this helps, it's not an easy cut by any means, but that's how its done...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Ahhhh I see. That makes a lot of sense. I really am a novice DIYer so my apologies if that seemed obvious to most.

To cut out the Newell as shown in pinenots pic, would you use a jig saw? Also would you use a grab adhesive to attach it to the wall or screws?

Thanks again

Stu

Best to cut across the grain with a fine hand saw and chisel down the length of the grain with a broad chisel. Alternatively you could cut out a pocket, starting at one of the cross joints, down to the depth of cut you require, chisel this out and hand saw out the remaining length.

Problem with a jig saw is that the blade tends to bend when cutting at depth and you could undercut that which is required...pinenot :)

Best to cut across the grain with a fine hand saw and chisel down the length of the grain with a broad chisel. Alternatively you could cut out a pocket, starting at one of the cross joints, down to the depth of cut you require, chisel this out and hand saw out the remaining length.

Problem with a jig saw is that the blade tends to bend when cutting at depth and you could undercut that which is required...pinenot :)

Excellent. Thanks for that :D

I'll give this a go and post up the results once done.

I actually have a Mitire saw. Would that be suitable?

That's my last question, honest :oops: :LOL:

Really appreciate your help pinenot :cool:

yes for the cross grain cuts, to be honest cutting's the easy part, take great care when marking out...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back