New Stair Lift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new Stairlift fitted at elderly mothers house in March 2021. Cost £4000 for a straight run with a small turn to the left at the top to deposit her on the landing. Well known company beginning with A. Fitter turned up 8am and was very good but wanted to fit the rail supports on top of the existing carpet. Is this standard practice ? We asked him to fit it direct to stairs and cut the carpet easiest way as we are renewing it. Fitter finished install by 10.30am. Now we are ready for a new carpet, the major stores say they use contractors who do not fit around stairlifts and it has to be temporary removed for them to do so. We offered to pay more for the extra carpet fitting work but were refused. Not going to remove stairlift. Have found an independent shop who will oblige carpet fitting. Stairlift company have now emailed us a maintenance plan at a cost of £1300 for three years cover. Why not one year cover ? How reliable are these lifts and is it worthwhile just calling on an independent as and when a fault occurs ? I understand the battery usually need replacing after about 18 months.

Sponsored Links
The carpet fitters I know work for the big stores and independent outlets, so it is likely to be the stores who don't want the hassle and potential complaints.

Check the exclusions on the maintenance plan before buying it, also will they guarantee to buy the stairlift back when it's no longer needed?

Blup

How reliable are these lifts and is it worthwhile just calling on an independent as and when a fault occurs ? I understand the battery usually need replacing after about 18 months.

They usually bolt them lift feet down on top of the carpet, why not?

I had one installed for my then partner, about eight years ago and at a similar cost for a straight run. She passed away soon after, making little use of it, I left it in as it might eventually be useful and it remains handy for running things up and down the stairs. Besides, they fetch nothing second hand.

The batteries can last many years. I managed to bugger up ours by turning off the mains supply - the stair lifts consume a constant small current, even when not it use, which I wasn't aware of. That flattened and wrecked the batteries. They were replaced free under warranty. If you turn the mains off - isolate the batteries.

I fitted a new stair carpet last year, myself. I simply measured up the positions of the bolts, wrote them up on a diagram and lifted the whole track up to fit the carpet. I lifted track including chair, which was very awkward and heavy, but I could not see an obvious way to get the chair off the track and I was in a hurry.

No, don't take a maintenance contract - they are money spinner for old rope. The maintenance visit comprises dropping in once per year, to give the track a wipe over with an oily rag, plus running the chair up and down with the weight of the installer on it. You can do that yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back