New stairs, how 2 support joists correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain or have u got any info on cutting out the ceiling and joists correctly when fitting stairs.
The joists are running horrizontal to stair position i.e meaning if you imagine stairs , the joists are running square on to the stairs!
A new beam/joist has been butted upto these joists running the full length and position the stairs are going in. The only problem i can see is the load from upstairs is resting onto not the wood but the bolts that have been screwed into from both ends of the 10/15ft joist. Also the butted up joists have been driven through with bolts but there is no support at all.. All the weight is transferred onto the bolts.
Can joist hangers be the answer to give the area support etc?
Or should we be doing old school mortice and tennen jobbies??
Job looks ****e!!!
Help (i know a photo would explain it all but i 'av'nt got one!!)

Sponsored Links
Can you borrow a camera or get someone to do it for you?

GALLERY]

This link shows a simple pic of stairs,but the way the joists run, i.e same way as the stairs , my joists run 90' to the stairs. And on the joist running parrallel withthe stairs that picks up the rest of the joists, to support them is only bolted with no support at all. Will joist hangers do the job?

I'll try 2 get photo later 2day, cheers.

Sponsored Links
As gregers says. It's quite usual for the joists to be trimmed and a trimmer joist to be nailed through to the existing joists. As the trimmer joist in turn is fixed to a complete existing joist (usually doubled up), it will carry the weight of the existing joists. ;) ;)
PS,, Merry Christmas. ;) ;) ;)

I hear what your saying John, but i think i'll have to upload a photo as it'll explain the job straight away!
Previous to fitting the stairs there was a chimney breast in place where new stairs are. The joists were supported onto the brickwork, but when they knocked it down there was no support at all.
So i wacked in sum acro's. So now that a few more woods have been trimmed there are only about 4 joists that are giving support to the whole job.
Thats why ive questioned the joist thats been put in parrallel with the stairs, because all the weight is on the m14bolts( or whatever size they are!!).
So im thinking of starting from scratch, cos the job looks ****e!

Av a Propper Crimbo!!!!!!! BO SELECTOR! :confused: :LOL:

I've had a look at your photo's and honestly can't make out much from them. Could you take some more, perhaps with a wider field of view? (stood back a bit so we can see the relationship of the chimney breast to the joists and the stairs (also showing which way the joists run. Cheers JJ ;) ;)

Sorry, not in the best of moods at the moment, just had a run in with a neighbour who we are having problems with, :evil: :evil: But that's for another post. ;) ;)

Yes have to agree slightly better photos would be good.
Looking at the last two, am I correct in saying that the one joist is supported by what looks to be a piece of angle built into the brickwork and is there actually a joint between the two timbers in the last shot i.e. some sort of tenon or are they just held by what looks like a couple of coach screws ?

yea, there just connected with coach bolts.

No other jointing i.e no tenon's

Ive added text to my pics in my album, so u should understand them better.
I'll take more pics also, 2 give a better field of view :)

Tried to put link to album, but av'nt got a clue yet how 2 do it.So just view my profile. ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back