New stairs - how long for movement to stop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I had my loft converted about 6 months ago and wondered how long it will take for the new stairs to find their final resting place :LOL:

There are hairline cracks in the paint between the wall and the stringer and I don't want to be repainting them 6 times - I'd rather just wait and do it the once!

The stairs are pine if this makes any difference.

Thanks
SB

Sponsored Links
Generally we have a 12 months defect snag and any problems such a movement or shrinkage should have shown themselves in that time. By that time everything should be pretty much stable unless there are problems not dealt with originally.
After six months your stairs should be ok, I'd suggest running a small bead of decorators caulk on the joint . It has a movement range of something like 10% according to the bump on the side and should solve your hairline cracks problem.

Many thanks for the speedy reply - I now have another job to add to the list for 'over Christmas'!

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back