Replacing bannister, is it safe to remove loft newel posts??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help,

We have a builder helping us replace our white-painted bannister all the way up to the loft (loft added by previous owners about 6 years ago).

Original plan was to keep the newel posts going up to the loft as the builder told us it plays a structural role in supporting the stairs. He intented to strip the paint and varnish the loft staircase newel posts, but now that the work has started the paint is not easily removed and the wood underneath is cheap pine which would not blend in well with the rest of the bannister.

He has given us two options, rip out the newel posts (which I am nervous about given he orginally said they are helping support the loft stairs and suspect this will become a much, much bigger and more expensive job) or cut them and glue new newel posts onto the old pine ones.

Which is the better/safer option?? I'm leaning towards cutting them - would this have any adverse effect to the safety of the staircase as I am more concerned about this then achieving the perfect asthetic!

Sponsored Links
The newel arrangement is almost always structural in virtually all staircases. I have even seen the newel post supporting a trimming beam whereby the newel post extended all the way down to the floor.

It is possible however that the uppermost part of the post is decorative (beyond the stringer mortise) and could be replaced. This replacement still needs to be sturdy as it still supports the handrail and spindles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back