Changing Newel Post BASES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THink I know what the answer will be but here goes.

We have a modern house, around 8-9 years old with a straignt run of stairs, single Newel centred on the second riser at the foot, newel each side at the top centred on the top riser.

Stairs are probably pine painted white (as long as we have had the house)

Will the Newels be structural or would I be able to change them - would involve a bit of work at the top as I can only see about 1" of each side of one newel beside the stringer and the other is completely burried below floor level.

Now I can get Burridge newels which will fit to one cut off at floor level (solves the problem at one side at the top) but will I be able to chgange the partly visible Newel ?

I know a picture will help.

Sponsored Links
Well lots of views but no answers . . . .

Still "digging"

The newel at teh base appears to end level with the bullnose tread, moving the carpet allows me to slide a scraper in to the ssame dept as the stringer under the newel.

Top left is cut over an engineered joist which appears to be a little longer than the staircase =- not found the other end yet. There is a block wall perpendicular to the stairs and just under the head, one of the two block walls in the house and the joists beyond the stairs rest on it and run parallel with the stairs but away from them.

Looks like I need to lift some floor to see but will the stringer rest on the wall or will the stringer sit in the newel and the newel rest on the wall?

Builder did a crap job, stairs sit 1/8" higher than the landing floor and the chipboard was laid with a 3/4" strip along the top of the stairs, in bits and gaps filled with sealer.

Marked heights yesterday evening and the existing bases are not high enough for Burbidges system - unless I cheat and use slightly longer Newels cut from handrail!

Some photos in the album - newels ARE supporting the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Lets try a simpler question . . . .

What glue do I use to fix oak Newel bases to Pine strings? Assume it will need some gap filling qualities so not PVA but will no-more-nails/Gripfil do - that is what they seem to have used to fix the head of the stairs.

I know they will want dowelling as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back