new standards from 1/4/2024

Sponsored Links
Just 7 years after Ireland then:unsure::)

and 25mm² T&E is back too
1680348568286.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice to see no longer will need earth sleeving, and the earth same size as main conductors, plus loosing the 1 mm² it was a problem when you had triple and earth at 1 mm² but twin and earth at 1.5 mm² and now all 90ºC. However the problem is we will end up with a mixture, old and new, like when in 1966 the earthing to lights came in, so we will need to be more careful.

Would be good to pin this thread.

Sponsored Links
Is this true? Just imagine.

Sounds like another grand money making operation.

It's bad enough now using lsf for lighting in 1.5mm2 on occasional jobs, without becoming the norm.

I think it's gonna be more expensive, with the extra insulation, and larger cpc conductor sizes.

I suppose some conduit sizes will increase accordingly, as I think the overall cable sizes will HAVE to increase slightly - they have to.

It's going to make re-wires harder, where you try to re-use old conduits.

Not that I do this often, but I don't think you'll be able to put two 2.5mm2 T+Es (flat 3 cores now, I suppose) down a 20mm round conduit in garages and that (though you were probably never supposed to).

It would be an absolute disaster of an idea, which will really bolllox everything up.

It would make me feel like giving up.

Last edited:
Is this true? Just imagine.
As I demonstrated (and given the date!), BS EN 12712 relates to "Plastic Jerricans", and I very much doubt that the BSI would have issued a "BS 12712" which related to something totally different from that BS EN one.

In any event, even if it were true, a new Standard relating to cables would not have altered what BS7671 says about cables and their use.

I'm inclined to just 'ignore' it - but as Raymond Dimbleby discovered to his cost, some of these happenings on April 1st get taken surpringly seriously :)

Kind Regards, John

Just 7 years after Ireland then:unsure::)

and 25mm² T&E is back tooView attachment 299713
Also, almost 60 years since Australia/NZ changed to Green insulated Earth conductors in 1966 - (and Green/Yellow insulated Earth conductors in 1980)
(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring )

North American countries have yet to move in that direction !
Those countries (as yet) do not even require insulated sleeving over the bare "Ground" conductors in their cables - which come in close proximity to the bare Side-Screws in their wall-plate equipment

Oh I had forgot about that, when the spaghetti harvest failed in Italy, and we were warned about the likely shortage. At that time we believed what we saw on TV, it was before the smash advert when they showed aliens laughing at us mashing potatoes. Even the adverts were truthful, not like today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back