New switch is different - how to wire..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Bought some new lights energy saving which means dimmers no longer work...grrr... never mind

So bought a new switch but have a slight different in the holes at the back of the new switch.

The old one has switch 1, Com, L1 & L2 & switch 2 Com, L1 & L2

The new one I got has switch 1, Com, L1 & L2 (OK), but switch 2 has 4 terminals not 3 = L1, L1, L2, L2 & No com :(

Can I still use this please & if so how should switch 2 be wired where I have no com now..?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Sponsored Links
Looks like the new switch has a terminal for an Intermediate switch (marked INT). Did it not come with a wiring diagram in the box?

The second switch seems to be an intermediate arrangement.
Some intermediate switches terminate differently to others.
I would suggest connect the one way light to it.
But connecting Top L1 as com and bottom L1 as L1, should give you an open/closed switch function. (or top L1 and bottom L2)
You may need to swap and change the connections, to achieve the function with rocker switch in correct position on switch plate.
Regardless of what configuration you use on the one way circuit, it should not blow/trip the fuse.
If you have continuity test meter, you could test the switch connections to see how they are configured, before connection.

t2565753.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/ electrics:intermediate#using-2-way-and-3-way-switches-as-1-way-or-2-way

Sponsored Links
1:

t363833.jpg

2: There's always the approach of LOOKING in the Wiki to see if there's an answer, as per the request at the top of the forum.

t3638332.jpg

Hi all

Thank you all for your replies and I wasn't aware what the INT meant so it all makes sense

Thanks again for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back