New system advice

No idea why it's going to be that particular model. That's the model recommended by the plumber. A second quote we had suggested we get a Atag. (I've never heard of them but happy to go on recommendations).

Sponsored Links
Boiler is going to be an Ecotec 37kw. Not sure what's in there at the moment but we have rads spread over four floors and 2 kids who in a few years will no doubt be needing showers at the same time etc.
37kW!? Do you live in a castle? 37kW is enough to run about 40 radiators. An oversized boiler will be expensive & inefficient to run, and will have a shorter lifespan. Has your installer done a full room-by-room heat loss calculation to determine the correct size of boiler for your property, as required by Part L of the Building Regulations?

37kW!? Do you live in a castle? 37kW is enough to run about 40 radiators. An oversized boiler will be expensive & inefficient to run, and will have a shorter lifespan. Has your installer done a full room-by-room heat loss calculation to determine the correct size of boiler for your property, as required by Part L of the Building Regulations?
I can but ask the question. You're right though, 38kw is oversized based on our requirements. Knowing almost nothing about boilers I've put trust in the installer to make the right decision.

We have 2 bathrooms and 15 rads.. I'd imagine something around the 28kw would have sufficed. Perhaps it was a typo?

Either way, it's being installed today.

Sponsored Links
If they turn up with a 37kW I'd politely but firmly tell them to take it away again. All installations carried out after 15th June 2022 MUST be accompanied by a full heat loss calculation demonstrating that the boiler selected is appropriate for the property. This is part of Building Regulations. It is no longer acceptable to fit oversized boilers or use guesswork to determine boiler size. Ask to see their calculations, and if they've not done any direct them to www.heat-engineer.com where they will find a comprehensive heat loss calculator.

Don't allow yourself to be saddled with an oversized boiler which will be inefficient to run and have a shorter lifespan than a correctly sized one. You wouldn't put a Ferrari engine in a Mini, don't do the same to your house

I can but ask the question. You're right though, 38kw is oversized based on our requirements. Knowing almost nothing about boilers I've put trust in the installer to make the right decision.

We have 2 bathrooms and 15 rads.. I'd imagine something around the 28kw would have sufficed. Perhaps it was a typo?

Either way, it's being installed today.
I'd expect something in the region of 18kW to be more than sufficient

But to be fair I expect the Ecotec could be set by the installer for the 24 kW that the house probably needs.

But the correctly sized boiler would be rather cheaper.

But to be fair I expect the Ecotec could be set by the installer for the 24 kW that the house probably needs.

But the correctly sized boiler would be rather cheaper.
Over sized boilers range rated down are never as efficient as a properly sized boiler, and doubt he will need 24KW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back