New table saw for around £500?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to invest in a a new mid-range table saw and stand for around 500 quid.

My research has narrowed it down to the:

Dewalt D745 or
Bosch GTS 10 J

Both seem to be well reviewed with solid fence mechanisms.

Does anyone have any views on these saws? Would you recommend anything different?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Although a little more expensive than your budget, you might also consider the Makita 2704 - there are some helpful reviews on YouTube.
Cheers,

Blup

I'm looking to invest in a a new mid-range table saw and stand for around 500 quid.
I've owned a DW745 for about 2-1/2 years. Prior to that I had a Makita MLT100. I've also used Makita 2703/2704 table saws in the past (hired-in) as well as the Bosch GTS10 XC (last year). My use is as a site joiner, so my saws tend to be used to thin-down larger timbers (softwood and hardwood) as well as for narrower rips of plywood/MDF, taper trims, etc

First thing I'll say is that none of these portable saws is ever going to replace a cast iron "proper" table saw - but then they aren't in that price league. They all have universal motors and so they are relatively noisy in comparison to saws with induction motors. On the other hand they are lightweight - which makes them portable, a must in site work.

I originally bought my MLT100 having already hired-in the more industrial 2703 and 2704 saws. he main thing I'd say is that the more industrial units cost about £250 more than the MLT - but that IMHO they aren't £250 better. As it happens the big Bosch I hired last year to deal with some parquet flooring was in many ways very similar to the Makita 2704 I'd used previously. It did not impress

So in the end, after 5 or 6 years of using an MLT100 I did swap to the DW745, fitted atop the DE7400 mobile base, which at the time came in at just over £500. The MLT had been "on loan" to a relative for about 2 years and I finally lost patience and told him to return it PDQ or pay me appropriate hire fees - and his wife intervened and told him to cough up and buy it off me, so I had ready cash to buy a new saw. I did consider the smaller Bosch GTS10J, but TBH having looked at one in Axminster's I just thought it was too small for me. After the MLT100, the DW745 was certainly a smaller saw (still bigger than the GTS10J, though), but it has a better (more rigid) fence, better fence adjustment, a reasonable tilt mechanism and the mobile base really works very well for me. The reduction in size from the MLT made it far easier for me to transport the saw around than it had been with the MLT (a big plus). Overall it has been reliable, but whilst just like the MLT, it can struggle with really big timbers (e.g. "deeping" spare 12 x 4 beams to make 6 x 4 purlins did cause it to cut out from time to time), it is perfectly OK on the smaller stuff. Blade changing is slightly awkward because the riving knife gets in the way a bit (I partly solved this by mounting the riving knife using a multi-position handle instead of the supplied bolt). Fence adjustment is fast and accurate, but with heavy use it is necessary to retension the adjuster mechanism from time to time to ensure that it locks properly. The rip fence accommodates the push stick in a clip (handy) and features flip-over "bar" which permits narrow/bevel ripping of thin stock without the need to remove the riving knife and guard. For heavier ripping work I have also made-up a drop-on short rip fence as this is safer than the American-style "straight through" type of fence supplied. The mitre fence really isn't much cop, but then I cut most mitres on the SCMS, so it isn't an issue for me

Would I buy it again? Yes, and with no hesitation. I strongly recommend the mobile base if the tool is intended for mobile/site work as it really makes the saw. So it was a very worthwhile purchase. What I would say, though, is that it is no cabinetmakers saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Axminster Hobby Series TS-250M-2 Table Saw might be worth a punt.
Silent running with an induction motor and cast iron table.
At 80kg might not suit every one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back