Table Saw Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
I'm now thinking of getting a table saw , had quite a few boards to cut up for a cupboard and filling in a over a door and can see a table saw would have been useful.
I have a load of Dewalt gear now, so tending to be brand loyal and looking at Dewalt.

I understand that a new regulation has meant that some of the 10" saws are nolonger available because of the ratio of base to saw dia.

I have a dewalt DWS778 Mitre saw which uses 250mm Blades and i have a few Freud, Saxton blades 40t/60t/80t - so would have been good if i could have got hold of the 10" dewalts - BUT seems to be 81/4 210mm only in the portable cheaper units

I looked at the Bosch GTS 10J and was going to buy from axminster when I saw a youtube video , where the screw for the guard got in the way of any large timber going through the saw - not sure why , or if the video is wrong.

Then the DeWalt DWE7485-GB seems to be the main choice, again almost purchased with a stand on a deal yesterday - BUT out of stock now.
I also looked at the Evolution rage 5 - but not sure of this brand, although I could use the 10" 250 blades with this saw. BUT the RPM is 2500 and not sure if that is to slow

welcome thoughts

Sponsored Links
sheet material far far easier with a plunge track saw
to cut a 8x4 sheet you need an area about 18ft 8 before the saw and 8 after with good support also not easy to feed a large heavy sheet over a saw accurately

Thanks big-all, I have not looked at tracksaw - any suggestions
One of the jobs i have is making a panel out of t&Gv and want to cut off the T&G on the end planks around 2m long.
also I trend to use a circular saw with a guide clamped to the wood, and find small pieces an issue.
I'm also planning to cut up a 8x4 sheet of 9mm MDF to make a panel effect , so strips of about 4/5" wide.

I have the Metabo TS254.
Looked at Dewalt, Bosch and Makita and none of them came up to the standard that metabo has acheived.
imo.

Sponsored Links
I have had a DW745 for about 5 years now, complete with the mobile stand. Bought it having previously had the plasticky Makita MLS100. The mobile stand is a very good idea indeed and the compact size if the saw makes it handy for site use (it goes through doors easily). I believe it has been replaced by the DWE7492, a far more expensive item.

As B-A says, track saws excel at breaking down sheet materials (you will need a couple of trestles and ideally a home made breslong dowwn table to take full.advantage of it), but they are very poor for ripping down solid timber. Table saws excel at ripping down solid wood, e.g parting a 70 x 44 softwood stud to two 30 x 44 in two passes which is awkward to say the least, whilst taking a 2mm rip off the edge of a 25mm wide board (to 23mm) is a no-no with a track saw unless you have all day to make a cut. On the othet hand it can be downright dangerous to even try passing an 8 x4 ft (2440 x 1220) sheet of plywood across a small portable site saw on your own. Different saws, different strengths

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back