New tarmaced drive - holding rainwater. Solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently had my drive tarmaced by a friend in the trade (He's a ground worker). I am pleased with the overall result, but at the top of the drive near my front door there is an areas that holds water after rainfall (the water dosn't run off down the drive). The areas' size is about 5m long by 2m wide. On close inspection this area is a dip and therfore holds any rainwater. This is obviously really impractical and looks a mess. Because my friend did the job (to save me a bit of money) I cant really demand that this is put right, because he was doing me a favour.

The reason I'm posting is to see if there is a solution to this problem? As i see it I cant lay new tarmac onto the exisiting, so my only alternative is to sthilsaw the offending area and remove that section of tarmac. I will then need to contact a surfacing firm who can re-lay some fresh tarmac into the area to correct the problem. I know this may look a mess (i.e. a patch job) but atleast my drive will be pratical and not hold water. Im hoping as the drive has only been down a couple of weeks that it will be fairly unoticable if I go down this route.

Could someone tell me if what I'm proposing is the way to go? or is there another solution that I've missed? My other idea was to cut out the offending area and to block pave this section, as I've got a paved edge. However I fear this may look a little silly in the middle of a tarmaced drive.

Anyones thoughts and advice on this would be really appreciated.

cheers,

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Am I correct in thinking that I will need to have the offending tarmac cut out and new tarmac laid in the area?

Cheers,

Jamie

i'm not an experienced maccer but what you have said about cut out and re-lay sounds about right.

Sponsored Links
Instead of just cutting out the low section, cut a strip out across the width which includes the low part then block pave this strip.

I saw block paving used as a feature in Tarmac prior to some long steps on a big country house refurb near me. Looked OK actually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back