New tiles or old?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
The underfelt on my 1970 built semi has rotted and split in a number of areas and now there are a couple of leaks into the loft. The roof has interlocking concrete tiles and the house style is like the one in the picture.
Ive had a roofer give a price to remove the tiles, felt and battens and replace with new. He's also given me a price to reuse the old tiles.
Given the age of the house will the tiles still be ok, or should i replace them with new?
The roof area is about 28sqm on each side and he has quoted £2400 to do the work reusing the existing tiles. Another £900 if I want new tiles. This is north east England Is that a decent price?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If the existing tiles are intact there's no need to renew them.....in fact even with the felt perishing there shouldn't be leaks into the loft (unless its ice building up within the soffits).
It looks like a typical Bellway / Leech house, using the Marley Mercian tile (I can't enlarge your pic).
John :)

That isn't actually my house I posted that picture to show the style of roof and the gable. I'm using an iPad and pictures are difficult to upload.
Is there a general cost per square metre for this type of work. The roofers price of 2.4k doesn't seem too bad but I haven't a clue what is reasonable.

The only thing you can really do is to get a few quotes......if I want people that I know are capable, I bring in Matthew Charlton, Hexham.
Obviously there's loads of others to choose from.
John :)

Sponsored Links
One roofer I contacted didn't turn up and this Is the only quote I've had so far.
The quote I got was from a roofer used by a builder I know. This builder i know recommends him so I'm thinking of just getting him to do the work rather than risk getting somebody dodgy. I was just curious if his price of £2400, just under £43 a square metre is reasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back