New tncs supply, 16mm ok?

I agree with your view that the OP is mixing things up.
My recent experience with DNO's may explain his position.

I had a rewire job that required the movement of the meter and suppliers cable from an internal kitchen wall which was being demolished.
The TNCS supply came into the house via overhead cable.
The DNO engineer came out and we discussed our options and eventually agreed on the following - with clear and specific responsibilities.
A location on the outside wall was identified for the DNO's incoming supply.
The DNO required a suitable meter cabinet be installed.
They would run their cables to the new cabinet and terminate at the 100Amp fuse - the meter supplier would then connect up the meter and leave a 100amp dual pole switch. The Ze was recorded on the inside of the cabinet.

They also specified the size of the customer side cable should no less than 25mm ²

The initial planned location of the CU placed it at 5m from the meter - this was unacceptable to the DNO and they insisted that if this was to be the case then they required I should install an additional protective device at the nearest point to the supply inside the customer’s premises, as specified in the current IEE Wiring Regulations.

In the end I managed to fit the Consumer Unit within the 3 metre distance and the additional protection was not needed.

It sounds to me that the OP has misheard the requirements of the DNO:

They are solely responsible for the cable up to an including the main fuse and in my case the meter tails up to the DP isolator.
If I understand what the OP is saying then he is unable to connect the CU within the 3m rule and this is why the additional protection is required.
Subject to the above highlighted requirement - the additional protection is the responsibility of the consumer/electrician.
The DNO's only requirement is that the additional protection(AP) is in place, the meter tails are connected from the CU to the AP and from the AP to the meter cabinet and dead tested with the results available for inspection.
Potential voltage drop aside there is no specific need for SWA - the DNO cannot stipulate that for inside the customers premises -though they do stipulate the cable size at the meter must be at least 25mm ² and the earth 16mm ² which of course is already published in the BGB.

http://www.northernpowergrid.com/som_download.cfm?t=media:documentmedia&i=1122&p=file

Sponsored Links
I agree with your view that the OP is mixing things up. My recent experience with DNO's may explain his position. ... The initial planned location of the CU placed it at 5m from the meter - this was unacceptable to the DNO and they insisted that if this was to be the case then they required I should install an additional protective device at the nearest point to the supply inside the customer’s premises, as specified in the current IEE Wiring Regulations.
Indeed, that's a situation we're all familiar with - but that is on the consumer's side of the meter.
They also specified the size of the customer side cable should no less than 25mm ²
Do you mean in the absence of an (customer's) OPD upstream of that cable? If so, I can understand them being able to dictate the CSA (since it's being protected by their fuse) - although it's perhaps a bit rich that they could insist of 25mm², given that the rules under which they operate appear to allow smaller cables than would BS7671, hence their own pre-meter cabling (and quite possibly the service cable) is quite probably less than 25mm²!

If I understand what the OP is saying then he is unable to connect the CU within the 3m rule and this is why the additional protection is required.
Indeed, that would make sense if he were talking about the consumer;s side of the meter - but, when I asked, he said he was talking about the supplier's side!

Kind Regards, John

If the cable is going to be before the meter I would strongly suggest asking the DNO for written confirmation of their requirements and following them to the letter.

If the cable is going to be before the meter I would strongly suggest asking the DNO for written confirmation of their requirements and following them to the letter.
Can you really believe that a DNO would want (or even allow) anyone other than themselves or a meter operator installing cable between cutout and meter?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed, that would make sense if he were talking about the consumer;s side of the meter - but, when I asked, he said he was talking about the supplier's side!

Kind Regards, John
And until he comes back we won't know for sure - hence my assessment of why he might have mixed things up.

And until he comes back we won't know for sure - hence my assessment of why he might have mixed things up.
Indeed - and I was agreeing with you that it would make sense if he was mixing things up in that fashion. It would then be the standard 'meter tails >3m' issue which we not infrequently discuss'.

Kind Regards, John

There are actually 2 properties involved here. The property i'm more concerned about is a 2 storey house which is on top of a single storey flat (1970's council estate). The front doors to the two properties are facing opposite directions and both have a bin/intake cupboard next to the front door. In the top cupboard (for the two storey house) there is a gas meter and an electric meter. The previous electrical supply comes up through the ground via metal conduit and is terminated into henley blocks inside metal trunking, then into the meter. Then out the consumers side of the meter to another bit of metal conduit and through a wall to the CU (about 1m away).
The downstairs bin/intake cupboard (outside the flat) is where the TNCS supply came into and where the new supply will be also. The only fuse protecting the cable was the one in the cutout.

This is the downstairs cupboard, the hanging cable below the gas meter is what was connected to the cutout. The conduit below the trunking on the right goes to the flat and the conduit that you can just see to the right end of the trunking goes to the house? above
This is just the trunking below the meter in the upstairs cupboard

Sorry about the long wait!

I'm so confused.

Where is or will be the cutout for all this?

Are you running a cable from the cutout to the meter, or from the meter to the consumers installation?

Where is or will be the cutout for all this?

Are you running a cable from the cutout to the meter, or from the meter to the consumers installation?

The UKPN cutout will be in that burnt out cupboard once it is rebuilt. I am running a cable from the cutout to the meter.

The UKPN cutout will be in that burnt out cupboard once it is rebuilt. I am running a cable from the cutout to the meter.
Which of the properties are you talking about? You said that you were most concerned about the upper one (house) and that the meter for that one was in the cupboard with the cutout. Like others, I'm very confused, on several levels!

Kind Regards, John

I strongly suggest you clarify the requirements with the DNO - This would never happen in my area. I suggest the DNO are expecting the metering to be placed adjacent to their cutout.

So you have to run a cable from the cutout which is to be located in the burnt out cupboard, up to the meter in the flat above which is your second photo?

Have we got this right?

My DNO would never allow this either.

Neither would we (I).

As others have suggested confirm with the DNO exactly what the final intention is to be

So you have to run a cable from the cutout which is to be located in the burnt out cupboard, up to the meter in the flat above which is your second photo? Have we got this right?
Who knows ... he wrote:
In the top cupboard (for the two storey house) there is a gas meter and an electric meter.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back