New to DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest some basic DIY tools / brands that I can buy.

I'm not planning any major projects, but discovered today that I would need to drill holes in my door in order to change the door handles :oops:

I'm planning on doing mainly decorative changes and things (like hanging pictures, changing plug covers etc...) But what if I get addicted :eek: !

So i'm looking for something that I wont have to spend a fortune on but will get the job done....

Sponsored Links
Maybe something like this to start you off,available from Argos £34
7015500A58IFN78863M.JPG

First thing is "you get what you pay for"

some (not all) cheap tools will not last that long so will cost more in replacemnts, i personally buy medium priced tools in case i loose them

back to your question.

Drill (with hammer action) cordless are good

Drill bits (wood masonary & steel)

selection of screwdrivers (never get cheap ones of these they break too easily)

Torch Spirit level Tape measure Pencil Tool box (dont get a plastic one they wont last)

First aid kit with lots of plasters Pliers Side cutters Adjustable spanners

if you have the money

jig saw circular saw electric plane

I would suggest you go to your local diy superstore that way you can "feel" what feels comfortable to you, then when you are more experianced try screwfix

when i started as an aprentice i used to buy a few every week or so

these are just my opinions

And finally you'll need a toilet roll for the job lists from the other half :LOL:
toilet.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally I would'nt but large sets of tools together because bacially you dont know what your getting. Bosch do diy power tools (green) and are sold at good prices in argos. I would steer clear of B&D and JCB. Argos also offer a 12mts warrenty on everthing, if something goes wrong bring it straight back, no questions asked.

In hand tools C.K are good, but i'm speaking from a professional point of view.

if its power tools your after take a look at B&Q at the pro range mate there good pricewise and they have a 3 year warrenty. buying tools is endless and can be pricey, just stick to the bare essentials and gradually build up your toolbox. and buying cheap always costs you in the long run.

buy tools as you need them,dont buy that cheap chinese ****.

masona said:
And finally you'll need a toilet roll for the job lists from the other half :LOL:
toilet.jpg

Make sure you get the stuff with added vitamin E!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back