new toilet but old cast iron stack, old toilet cemented in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
just replacing my high level toilet which had a right hand bend already on it to the cast iron stack, i managed to break the old toilet out and remove the old rock hard cement by drilling and chipping away with a hammer & chisel
now i have a low level toilet i want to fit ,managed to get a plastic 90° swan neck connector for this type of bend so it comes into line ok, but now need to connect it to the stack which has a large boss which the adaptor sits in now it needs some king of putty or cement
whats the best way to secure and seal this plastic adaptor to the cast iron stack ?
thanks

p.s i did think of replacing the stack but it runs inside the house and out through the roof ,its nearly all boxed in but this would involve massess of work

Sponsored Links
Will the spigot of the pan connector (or a pan connector extension) fit into the bore of the soil pipe, leaving the socket on the end 'for decorative purposes only'?

If it does, you could use any filler you like, as the sealing is done by the pan connector.

You could then consider cutting the socket off the end of the pipe to tidy things up a bit.

thanks for the reply . no the spigot wont go into the soil pipe but i have cut a slight angle o it butts up to it

What is the inside diameter of your CI pipe. I think you can get adapters that will seal into the CI pipe and will then take your new pan connector.

Sponsored Links
itsapprox the same size as the pipe but looks like its rusted or caoted in the brown stufftried to avoid putting my hands inside LOL

:LOL: Neither rust nor brown stuff will hurt you. Never did me any harm ...but my Mrs. moans @ me for leaving the corner of my sandwich @ lunchtime . Haven`t told her why it`s a habit yet ;)

Looks as if it is 4" ID cast iron. A plumbers merchant should be able to sort you out with an adapter. However you will need to clean up the bore to get a good seal. Rubber Gloves!!

thank will have a trip to plumbers mercahnts tomorrow

thanks for the part number have contacted them to see how i get one .whats it like cutting the pipe with an hacksaw imagine it to be hard going!

A good quality 18TPI hacksaw blade cuts cast iron quite nicely. There's often a hard skin on the surface, but once you get into it, most of the metal is quite soft.

The 5 for £1 blades tend to leave chipped off teeth stuck in the work. Those broken teeth then strip the rest of the teeth off the blade.

thanks again for all the help will def get decent hacksaw blades

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back