New toilet under stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if it is possible to install a toilet and sink under my stairs/ in the alcove. Here is a picture of my house from when i added an extension 5 years ago. The long/short dotted line going down the plan is my main drain pipe that was originally encased in concrete before the extension.

I think it is still in concrete, it was a hump under the suspended floor about 30cm wide and 30cm high.
Do you think it would be possible to join onto the waste? View media item 91144 [/img]

Sponsored Links
It will probably be physically possible.

But to do it within the Building Regulations may be more difficult.

Installing a new toilet requires a submission to Building Control with fees and a suitable drawing!

Tony

Thanks. I have since found out the gap to get into the under the kitchen floor where the large hump of concrete is too small to get through.
Would it be possible to run a new waste pipe straight down the hall and under the front door? I know there is a waste drain cover approx 5/6 ft away from the front door step.
I don't think the plans would be an issue, I could copy and upcycle the drawing that were used for the extension. The photo that is attached is part of the plan that was provided to my local planners and building control. ( I am not in the UK) and the 2 story extension was passed :)

I would expect your building regs are based on those in the UK.

But there is a simple solution!

Just use a macerator toilet with a 22mm or 32 mm waste pipe! Like a Saniflo etc.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would check if the fall can be created on the space you have as you know everything must go downhill also wether you can vent or will need a Durgo valve

Macerators are the work of the devil and should only be used as very last resort.the costs incurred when these unit go wrong ,which they inevitable will are ridiculous as well as finding a plumber who will open one up and repair it

Thanks Haooyplumber.
I didn't fancy a saniflo, Google says they have problems....
It would be a run of 8-9 metres, what sort of fall would I need? Shall I check to see how low the inside of the man hole cover at the front of the house is ? Or are they a pretty standard depth?

You need to check the man hole by opening it up and then you can work out the fall and how you will tumble the waste into it

A fall between 1:40 and 1:80 will work fine

Building Control will want some form of rodding at the junction such as a chamber. That's more easily achieved outside the house than inside!

Drawing is optional you can go on notification only but you take a chance at inspections. Toilets though have simple general rules: rodding point ie chamber at junction, drain must be vented somewhere (you're soil pipe probably is already), must have a fan with timer, sink essential, and get an electrician unless you're qualified and can wrangle a fees discount.

Building Control will want some form of rodding at the junction such as a chamber. That's more easily achieved outside the house than inside!

Drawing is optional you can go on notification only but you take a chance at inspections. Toilets though have simple general rules: rodding point ie chamber at junction, drain must be vented somewhere (you're soil pipe probably is already), must have a fan with timer, sink essential, and get an electrician unless you're qualified and can wrangle a fees discount.
Thanks, what do you mean by rodding? The existing waste goes to a manhole in the drive, which is in turn connected to another manhole further down the drive that then connects to the main sewer in the road. My neighbour attaches to my second manhole as my house originally owned his and they did not want to pay for 2 houses to be put on main drains!

Basically, all sections of any drain run must be accessible for drain rods to be able to be got into the pipe to clear any future blockage. Usual practice to provide access is either a chamber or a rodding eye. Obviously you'll have a toilet at the start of this run, provided the other end discharges into a chamber, then access is available from the chamber for rodding.

If, for example a toilet was joined to an existing run by means of a junction, then the run from the toilet to the drain would not be able to be rodded. Working from either end of the main run, rods (or a jetting hose) would go straight past the lateral connection and it would be impossible to unblock it without removing the toilet and working from that end. Not recommended.... :eek:

IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG I have the planning permission for my cloakroom and the builder has been and fitted the waste pipe, inspection chamber and connected to the manhole in the drive.
I am trying to work out how the basin waste will link up to the wc waste. Can the basin waste run down the wall, in a pipe of course, under the floor and then link up to the wc waste under the floor?
Here is the plans, the basin is opposite the wc. I have a wall mounted wc.

It was my original post so thought I could just continue with asking a question rather than starting a new thread.
I edited a reply to Happyplumber, you are correct to continue your postings here. Sorry for any mix up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back