Toilet Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Is it possible to route the toilet waste through the space 'under' the bath. I don't mean under the floorboards under the bath.

If you look at the attached picture, this is my proposed design. It is currently exactly rectangle (1350mm wide throughout) but I want to make it an L shape so the bath can go where it is in the drawing.

But, the current layout has the toilet in the top right hand corner as you look at it, the bath along the left hand wall and the sink where it is in my drawing, albeit a small corner sink. The toilet waste goes straight out the back and through the external wall, so I would need to re-route the waste pipe.

Thanks

View media item 30822

Sponsored Links
You can route the toilet waste where you want as long as it complies with Building regulations regarding minimum fall, maximum unvented length & provision of rodding access; although it may not look very nice! It would help if you could show the waste run, where the soil stack is located & other relevant information on your drawing & it’s not particularly clear! You should bear in mind the requirements of the bath/sink waist runs; maximum unvented lengths &, preferably, maintaining separate soil stack connections in each case; obviously you cannot run toilet or any other waste uphill!

even if there is physically enough room under the bath, and a route past/through the legs and cradles you wont get much of a run on it and it will be too low at the wc end and will require a bend on it to bring it up to the height of the pan waste (don't use a flexi waste pipe) if it is the only option then it can be done but it could be a bit tricky

If it makes things easier, if you come face to face with a problem with the bath/basin waste falls, using a HepvO will eliminate these as you could have your pipes running vertical if you wished :)

Sponsored Links
If it makes things easier, if you come face to face with a problem with the bath/basin waste falls, using a HepvO will eliminate these as you could have your pipes running vertical if you wished :)
A HepvO is a waterless valve that can be used in tight spaces to replace conventional water seal P, U or bottle traps; it can also be used prevent siphoning in a conventional trap removing the need to install AAIV’s on long unvented drain runs or where a run has more than one waste connection; it will not enable you to run a drain without a fall or run waste uphill :!:

You can route the toilet waste where you want as long as !
you don`t tell anyone ;) That`s My Way :LOL: What I would do in your house is - IF you can alter the outside stack and get the branch to the Left Hand Top corner of your drawing - then go from there to WC across the end of the bath :idea:

What I would do in your house is - IF you can alter the outside stack and get the branch to the Left Hand Top corner of your drawing - then go from there to WC across the end of the bath :idea:
Well that's what I'd do as well or even bring the stack closer to the bog but I was waiting for some clarification/information as to where the stack is actually located at the moment; OP seems to have lost interest though!

Sorry for the delay. Neighbours moved last week and left there year old cat to fend for itself so I have been looking after it while trying to find it a new home!

Sorry about the pic quality. I scanned it in after drawing it and pencil drawings don't scan very well.

I will knock up someting more detailed, but for now if you look at the very top measurement of 1800, specifically the actual numbers, the stack is slightly over the to the right of them on that wall. So it would result in 3 elbows; one on the back of the toilet, on in the top left of the room and one to get it on to the stack. Total length would be about 2100mm.

By the way I am not doing this myself!

The problems that you’re going to face with what you show are:
• Achieving the required fall (1:40) on the soil pipe with the longer run
• Providing rodding access to clear blockages (basically you must have access to any length of soil pipe from one end or the other

As already stated by far the best way would be to move the stack as close to the new toilet location but if that’s not an external wall then you could take a straight run directly through the wall under the bath & then run along the wall on the outside (assuming that is an external wall), making a new connection to the stack & then provide the required rodding access on the outside bend & on the stack.

How did you intend plumbing the sink & bath waste? Where are they currently located? They should ideally have separate connections to the stack or, as already stated, you’re going to have to fit AAV’s or anti-siphon valves.

I've fitted a few new baths over the top of waste pipes where the waste passes through the cradles - not an easy thing to acheive but all seemed to work ok. If you need a bit more height at the wc end to acheive a better fall, you could always board the floor with 18mm plywood. Plus, fixing your new toilet on top of floor tiles will give you about another 15-20mm so you have gained about 33-38mm already.

The current locations of the toilet, bath and sink are;

toilet is right in front of the stack
bath is run along the left hand wall
the sink is in the same place, albeit a corner sink

There is only 1 external wall here, and that is the 1800mm measurement, or where the stack currently comes in.

Unfortunately moving the stack is not possible I don't think, as the kitchen is below this which has a sloped roof (the kitchen is extended from the external wall, not directly beneath the bathroom) so it would mean going inside the ceiling void and back out, somewhere!

Can anyone else think of another layout. Please do not say leave it as it is as if you saw the layout you would agree with me!

Can anyone else think of another layout. Please do not say leave it as it is as if you saw the layout you would agree with me!
But miracles aren’t possible & that’s the only way your going to get poo to flow along what will be a near horizontal pipe to the existing stack connection; 1 in 40 is what you should be aiming for so your going to need approximately 80mm height difference between the toilet outlet & the existing stack connection. If it’s just the other side of the wall, the current height difference will only be around 10mm. The problem is your moving the toilet a long way from the stack, it's usuall to locate it closest to the stack because of the physical size of the pipe, the difficulties associated with running long & torturous routes with insufficient fall & provide the obligatory access. The only solution I can see is if you take a straight run from the loo out through the wall (with a fall of course) & run along the outside into a new, lower stack connection. I just can’t see you getting enough fall or allow the necessary access points under the bath & you can’t go cutting the joists.

Another solution would be to fit a Macerator but they are god awful things & I’ll leave it to your imagination what a wonderful job clearing one out is & it will happen, especially if you’ve got kids!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back