New towell Rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have a standard rad in my bathroom, and its supplied by microbore pipe eg 8/10mm . I want to change this for a modern towell rad.
The thing is the rad has 2 lockshield valves one either side. unlike the other rads which either have a trv or a hand wheel valve.
Is this for a reason eg an automatic bypass incase all the rads were closed.

If not what is the easiest way to disconnect and install a new rad.
And will the CH need draining down to do this.

Cheers Darren

Sponsored Links
Yes, system should be drained for this job.
It could be the rad has to lock shields to act as a bypass.
Also possible that the rad is currently piped up in the dhw circuit if you have a cylinder.
Bear in mind that towel rails give of a lot less heat than a rad; the biggest you find as a standard size, 1800 x 600, only give off the same heat as a 600 x 600 single panel, or 450 x 450 double. And that is only if they are not chrome, and without towels on them.

cheers for the quick reply its more for an asthetic view than for heat as we are a brand new mid terrace house. The bathroom is never cold so would not be worried about heat loss. If it is attached to the dhw circuit is there a way to prove this. I do have a cylinder and if it is attached to the dhw circuit is there a different method for draining or not.

I take it to drain down its open the drain cock on the lowest rad and slowly open up the bleed valves on all rads to help drain. But on an unvented pressurised system is it straight forward to refill. is it just a case of closing the drain cock and bleed valves and opening up the filling loop. until the pressure is back in the system?

Sponsored Links
If it is a sealed system, just open the draincock, don't forget the hose, and wait with opening the rads til the flow reduces noticeably. When that happens, open highest rads first, and work you way down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back