New toy from ebay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought myself a new toy on ebay. It has a rechargeable battery, and is supplied with a SMPS for charging it.

The power supply to the SMPS is, well, interesting...

0b0e43e5.jpg

a19d0956.jpg

822f7a2e.jpg

:eek:

Sponsored Links
Whats the new toy ? Satellite meter by chance as ive seen these adaptors come with imported meters.

Am I dreaming or did you just tack this on to the end of an unrelated thread in error???

Either you or me is going nuts, cos I swear I saw the above in another thread........

Anyhow, I've cut and pasted:

At least it does not claim compliance....

The live pins are too close to the edge of the body.

Access to live parts.

No fusing down.

Lethal.

I know you will destroy it.

Whats the new toy ?

It's a 75W HID torch :D

Am I dreaming or did you just tack this on to the end of an unrelated thread in error???

Either you or me is going nuts, cos I swear I saw the above in another thread........

Anyhow, I've cut and pasted:

At least it does not claim compliance....

The live pins are too close to the edge of the body.

Access to live parts.

No fusing down.

Lethal.

I know you will destroy it.

Yes I did post on another thread by mistake :oops: I have reposted it here and asked the mods to delete the other one.

It's certainly not good. I really like the lack of fusing. I think I'll chuck it in my box of testing adaptors. It might come in handy one day...

Sponsored Links
You LIKE the lack of fusing?

Or did you mean to type DISlike? :eek:

I bought a 'refurbished' laptop from a company in Ireland on ebay and the power supply came with an unfused European plug which was plugged into an adaptor to fit UK sockets. The adaptor was unshuttered and unfused. I just cut the European plug off and replaced it with a 13A plug fitted with a 3A fuse. OK we have the knowledge to know this is wrong, but I wonder how many are being used in ignorance. This company sells hundreds of laptops.

mmm, that is one seriously dodgy travel adaptor, not only is it unfused and unshuttered, but although it has an earth pin only a subset of the earth holes are actually connected to the earth pin. I'm pretty sure it's also violating the minimum distance between pins and the edge of the plug.

I wish this was the first time i'd seen such an adaptor but sadly I see them pretty frequently arround uni.

RF, what's the answer to BAS' question?

Jeez, give me chance, I do have to go to work occasionally!

The seller was "chinasouthern_hk", a chinese seller, but the item was "Send out from UK warehouse,no custom tax and fast ship "

So somewhere for TSO to go and seize goods, then.

Somebody like to explain again why it is not in everyones interests, except the money-grubbing *()&$%!)$^~@s who run eBay, for them to be held responsible for their site being used to sell something lethal?

Somebody like to explain again why it is not in everyones interests, except the money-grubbing *()&$%!)$^~@s who run eBay, for them to be held responsible for their site being used to sell something lethal?
Because the cost of policing such activities would make the auction service prohibitively expensive.

After all, this isn't something that can be done programatically, i.e. in software, by the eBay proprieter.

It's just an electronic auction - the same rules apply to eBay as do to a physical auction house - everything is sold as seen, albeit with the addition of rules that make it possible to retrieve funds from the seller if they misrepresent the goods on offer.

Don't know why they supplied the white adaptor. Would surely be cheaper for them to ship it with a BIC biro lid...

Eidted for seplling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back