New triton 8.5kw shower - pressure/flow is just pants!

s79

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for all the waffling and the million questions in this thread, im a complete DIY/plumbing novice so please bear with me!

I had a gainsborough 2000x 9.5kw shower which had lasted nearly 15 years but decided to blow up while i was using it on sunday! :eek: The pressure relief device shot out of the heat exchanger shot out great force This also caused me to fall very ungainly on my ar$e due to the loud bang!
See this link for the parts i mean -
http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/aqualisa/aquastyle_instantaneous.htm (part 8a flew out of part 3a)

It had always been fairly reliable except on a 3-4 occasions when it completey burnt out the fuse my old style consumer unit!

Anyhow after it blew i decided it was lony due for a replacement anyway, so i got a mates dad whos a plumber to install a new shower for us yesterday. The shower was supplied by him - a triton enrich 8.5kw (which incidently he charged me £70 + £20 fitting)

He said the main core was apprently only 6mm! Which probably explains why the fuse had burnt out in the past. So i was actually quite relieved that he was installing an 8.5kw shower.

My problem now tho is that the pressure/flow from the shower now is absolutely rubbish! Even compared to the old shower which wasnt exactly brilliant anyway. Now I have to stand right underneath the showerhead. I assume this is because its only an 8.5kw?

Also i have noticed that there is a jerkiness (i.e. stop start )in the flow from the shower with the new triton which wasnt there with the gainsborough. (but I also noticed jerkiness in the taps leading up to the gainsborough blowing? Could i have developed a pressure problem? Could it be linked?)

Anyway wot i want to know is if there is quick fix for the low pressure? i.e. check for blockages, leaks? Change the shower head? Or do i need to upgrade my shower (already! :rolleyes: ) & cabling? What would the typical cost be for running 10mm cable for a typical 3 bed terrace (approx 20-25m)? Hope i havent wasted that 90 quid :(

And is it worth me trying the old shower again too?

Thanks in advance guys

Sponsored Links
I found that my electric shower was great in the summer but pants in the winter. Obviously the lower water temperature from the mains in the winter required the temperature setting/water flow to be turned right 'up' to get a decent shower with resultant poor flow.

It also depends alot on the shower head wrt number of and size of the holes/jets. When you have low pressure you need fewer/smaller holes but this can be counter productive as thinner jets lose heat very quickly and the shower is useless or even painful due to the needle like jets!

I suspect you will find there is no substitute for more electrical power to get a decent shower. More kW=better shower performance.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Can't tell from your link as it is a completely different shower.

It should tell you in the installation / user guides, you should have got with the new shower.

Off top of my head it is around where the mains supply connects onto the shower.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back