New turf over old turf argument?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Calling all gardeners out there!

I have a small lawn, which is in poor condition. It does not have a lot of weeds or moss, but does have bald patches and dips. It also has stepping stone across it which I am about to take up.

It is going to be extended into the rest of the garden and I am pretty confident about laying new turf over the old veg patch. However, can I lay new turf over the old lawn? Some people say it is ok if I cut the old lawn very short. I have room for the extra height, but don't want it to die within a few weeks. It is only about 2m by 2m area, and it is surrounded by walls on 3 sides.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You need to dig up the old grass otherwise it will die and then rot under the new turf.

2 x 2m wont take long at all to dig up.

Not to me personally beacuse I removed my old grass before turfing.

Another reason for removing the old grass is also that you can then turn-over the soil while will allow the new turf to root more easily.

If you think about it, if you over-turf the existing grass it will soon die because it wont have any light, but it will be a while before it will decompose/compost so your expensive new turf will be sitting onto of a layer of dead grass, and compacted soil, so you won't be giving it the best chance to take root.

With only a 2 x 2m patch I can't see any reason why you wouldn't remove the grass that is there beforehand.

Sponsored Links
Its not an argument. People that say you can turf over old turf are simply lazy and wrong.

The hardest part is getting rid of the old turf.
I have a biggish garden & I am digging bits of my lawn for flower beds.
Don't say turn it over & it will rot, that's ok if there arnt any weeds.
Removing stepping stones, I would loosen soil & seed.

The hardest part is getting rid of the old turf.
I have a biggish garden & I am digging bits of my lawn for flower beds.
Don't say turn it over & it will rot, that's ok if there arnt any weeds.
Removing stepping stones, I would loosen soil & seed.

It makes lovely loamy compost and it doesn't matter about the weeds, they can be composted too. Build the compost heap properly and it will break down quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back