turf over concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been digging out an old gravel path ready for laying turf in my garden. I have found a huge lump of concrete. It is about 4' by 3' and at least 3 feet deep. The top of it lies about 4 inches below the level of the the rest of the garden. Is this enough dept for the turf? Will it always show through the lawn?
I am reluctant to have a go at moving it as dynamite is hard to come by.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
at 4 inches below the surface it will more than likely show over the years. if you cant break it out then your best bet would be to put more topsoil above it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as it is the entrance to a huge underground bunker i should leave well alone.

probably.:cool:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably contains a dead body.

Good night, and sleep well :evil:

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
or maybe its the entrance to the underwurld......cue vincent price laughter!!! :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to report that nothing of interest was found under the concrete. However one of the blocks contained the base of a flagpole. This would explain why there was what appeared to be a 15' by 15' parade ground marked out in another part of the garden. My house was owned by the local chief constable around 1900.

Rozzers on parade!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i guess you moved it which is the best option. I had a similar bit of concerete, didn't remove and had about 10cms of topsoil on top before the grass. from May to october the grass was brown, I removed the concrete and hew prestow no brown grass.

Sponsored Links