new TV aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, ive got 2 built in freeview TV's downstairs and ever since i bought them last year ive never had a reception to pick up the channels so its about time i sorted it out !

I like to have some sort of knowledge before contacting an aerial firm so they dont rip me off, when i look around my street there are so many different types of aerials, how would i know if they are quoting me for some super duper one that i dont require ?

if i do get a new one, will the signal be sent up to the 2 TV,s upstairs ? as i have sky multiroom although i havent got built in frreview TV's upstairs yet but planning to soon Thanks PM

Sponsored Links
The Vision "Focus" V10-040 log-periodic aerial is good for 85% of UK locations but without knowing your postcode nobody can give specific advice.

OK, so you have a choice of transmitters, both requiring a wideband aerial. You can point it at Waltham on a compass bearing of 299 degrees or at Sandy Heath on a compass bearing of 187 degrees. The V10-040 should be ideal. See
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/best_aerial.htm#gablekit

That should give you an idea of the costs. Obviously you'll have to add labour and VAT. Probably around £150 for gable-end or around £200 for chimney mounting. Less for loft installation but might not be ideal. Worth a try, however, if you fancy DIY.

Sponsored Links
Look up the aerialsandtv web site. That has exellent info on aerial types.

The type you need will depend on the strength of the signal in your area less any immediate obstructions. At my house I can use a log periodic aerial and I have loads of signal. 5 miles down the road in Crewe I have to install higher gain aerials or else the lower power muxes give marginal results.

There is no reason why you cant have both Sky and TV distributed on the aerial install. It is just a question of putting in the right gear.

Remember when comparing prices that if you had to buy the gear, ladders, tools and meter and do all the training to do a professional install yourself that your aerial install would cost you over £2000 before turning a wheel or paying a wage. You can't compare that to buying some bits from a web site.

I will assume Sam Gangee has looked up your postcode to say you need wide band. Where I live two years ago we also required wide band but since analogue has gone the local frequencies have changed allowing narrow band again. This means a lot smaller aerial which is less affected with wind so until analogue is turned off I would not rush into getting a new aerial.

In order to reduce damage from atmospheric storms one should avoid where possible sharp corners so gable-end is not recommended. Also any earthed structures so soot lined chimney is also not ideal. Much depends on the properties near you and I will agree in some cases there is really no option. Decoupling capacitors will help but it was not that far away from you in Suffolk where I was shown the results of earthing an aerial which was when I saw it a line of copper globules across a lawn after a lighting strike.

OK little bigger than TV aerial it was a G5RV but why temp fate? The less metal in the sky the less the chance of a lighting strike so why use a wide band if once fully digital a narrow band will do the job?

Sandy heath is marginally nearer, more powerful and has a slightly cleaner line of sight but the channel spread for digital goes from 21 to 52

waltham although less powerful has less of a spread of channels 29-49

It depends on which local news etc you prefer

thanks all for replies, its tempting to try and DIY and save money, but climbing a near vertical ladder (neighbours adjoining wall abou t3 ft away )
and being over 61 perhaps not a good idea :)

anyway, so all I need to do is buy a V10 and a compass, remove the old areial on the pole and replace and probably some decent cable down through loft to the point in the room.. simples :D

i suppose its easy to read a compass ? or if i try and do it just point it in the same direction as the one that is up there at the moment cheers PM

Keep the compass away from metal objects (ladder, aerial etc.) The needle points to magnetic north so turn the compass body to align "N" with the needle. You can now ignore the needle and see the direction of the required bearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back