New twin and Earth with sheathed CPC

Sponsored Links
For lazy DIYers - yes
"Lazy" ? why lazy.
Why was a pull switch over a bed often called a Lazy Switch" ? What the heck was a "Lazy Betty Switch". Who was Betty? and what`s it all about.
Is it a reference to some people taking an easier or more efficient or more sustainable way are to be labelled as "Lazy"? Seems to be a very strange concept to me.

"Lazy" ? why lazy.
Why was a pull switch over a bed often called a Lazy Switch" ? What the heck was a "Lazy Betty Switch". Who was Betty? and what`s it all about.
Is it a reference to some people taking an easier or more efficient or more sustainable way are to be labelled as "Lazy"? Seems to be a very strange concept to me.

Lazy because the hall markers of electrical DIY are no grommets in back boxes and no sleeving on the CPCs'

Sponsored Links
Lazy because the hall markers of electrical DIY are no grommets in back boxes and no sleeving on the CPCs'
SO , are you calling users who might prefer use of this cable "lazy" ? I might have misunderstood you.

I suppose we might view car drivers who use the clutch and synchromesh and don`t bother to double de-clutch as lazy?

SO , are you calling users who might prefer use of this cable "lazy" ? I might have misunderstood you.
Such Diyers (most) don't have a roll of sleeving therefore they leave it out. It's hard to find a small bits of sleeving that's why they never get to do it.

Yes I know that. but it does not make advocates of that new fangled cable deserve the title of lazy does it

If someone decides when going into a bed that they need to return back to the door to switch a light off before getting into bed with or without a bedside light then does it make them lazy if they have a pull switch over the bed head or a plateswitch near the bedside cabinet? I think not.

In fact one our illustrious forum members seems to favour smart switches/Wifi etc etc too, I calls it innovative and very sensible, never lazy.

Just recently I asked a builder (called himself an electrician) why he had not used grommets "they didn`t give me any!" was the reply. I thought ho heck! what will he do if he buys a door and discovers no handles, letterbox and hinges then? ..........................................................snookered?

Last edited:
'Lazy'is not much different from the 'Slightly increased convenience of termination' that I have referred to in the other thread - that being the only real 'advantaged' I can personally think of for wanting an insulated CPC - particularly given that there are (slight) 'safety advantages' in leaving the CPC bare.
I suppose we might view car drivers who use the clutch and synchromesh and don`t bother to double de-clutch as lazy?
Although all my cars in recent times have been automatics, in view of the way I was brought up, I never really got out of thee habit of double-declutching in manual cars even when they had effective synchromesh :) However, again, I suppose the primary advantage of synchromesh was a matter of 'convenience' - so, also again, yes, maybe describable as 'for lazy drivers' :)

Kind Regards, John

'Lazy'is not much different from the 'Slightly increased convenience of termination' that I have referred to in the other thread - that being the only real 'advantaged' I can personally think of for wanting an insulated CPC - particularly given that there are (slight) 'safety advantages' in leaving the CPC bare.

Although all my cars in recent times have been automatics, in view of the way I was brought up, I never really got out of thee habit of double-declutching in manual cars even when they had effective synchromesh :) However, again, I suppose the primary advantage of synchromesh was a matter of 'convenience' - so, also again, yes, maybe describable as 'for lazy drivers' :)

Kind Regards, John
I'd be more inclined to use lazy to describe 'Hill Start Assist' and some of the other crap selling points on cars.

I'd be more inclined to use lazy to describe 'Hill Start Assist' and some of the other crap selling points on cars.
I don't disagree with that, but it doesn't really alter the point/view I made.

My (very slight) concern about insulated CPCs is that I struggle to see any 'advantage' other than one of 'convenience' and therefore wonder whether that really should be allowed to overcome the (again very slight) safety advantage of having a bare CPC.

I don't disagree with that, but it doesn't really alter the point/view I made.

My (very slight) concern about insulated CPCs is that I struggle to see any 'advantage' other than one of 'convenience' and therefore wonder whether that really should be allowed to overcome the (again very slight) safety advantage of having a bare CPC.
The vast majority of my work is with multicore cable of one description or other, as such an insulated earth wire is quite standard for me. However I do see the action of piercing requires 2 'faults'.

The vast majority of my work is with multicore cable of one description or other, as such an insulated earth wire is quite standard for me.
Indeed. However, that does not alter the fact that having a bare CPC in T+E (which is what we are talking about) offers an (albeit slight) 'safety advantage'.

Well if the luddite does not like it then we will never advance.
Having a covered CPC simply means that you no longer need to oversleeve the CPC, all other use of it is the same, strip the end just as you would the other cores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back