new "earthsure" cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as title, doncaster cables are to launch a new range of twin and earth cables with preinsulated cpc. 1.0/1.5 and 2.5 initially but they hope to sell all sizes soon

"about bl++dy time"

Sponsored Links
as title, doncaster cables are to launch a new range of twin and earth cables with preinsulated cpc. 1.0/1.5 and 2.5 initially but they hope to sell all sizes soon
Interesting, if it's true. Such cables are, of course, already required in many a country. Given that there is presumably a cost implication, I can't see such cables, even if/when available, coming into widespread use in UK unless/until it becomes 'required' (by BS7671).
"about bl++dy time"
It's not a totally one-sided issue. One advantage of having a bare CPC in between the two live conductors is that it appreciably increases the probability that something penetrating the cable and coming in contact with a live conductor will also come in contact with the CPC - thereby causing a protective device to operate.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Interesting, if it's true. Such cables are, of course, already required in many a country. Given that there is presumably a cost implication, I can't see such cables, even if/when available, coming into widespread use in UK unless/until it becomes 'required' (by BS7671).

Kind Regards, John
in the video doncaster cables say they will sell it at the same cost as normal twin and earth

in the video doncaster cables say they will sell it at the same cost as normal twin and earth
Again, interesting, given that it presumably must cost a little more to manufacture (PVC does not come at zero cost).

I suppose a lot will depend upon the extent to which other manufacturers follow suit but, even if they do, and even if there is no cost penalty,I suspect it would be a very long time before it came to be in widespread use, unless/until it is 'forced' on us by regulations - and many decades beyond that before UK installations were devoid of cables with bare CPCs.

Kind Regards, John

I really can't see a down side, I think it great.
Well, I've mentioned one (small) downside - and I suppose a related one is that it may, at least in some cases, delay the detection of cable damage/deterioration by IR testing.

What do you see as the 'upsides', other than removing the need for G/Y sleeve at terminations?

Kind Regards, John

It's not a totally one-sided issue. One advantage of having a bare CPC in between the two live conductors is that it appreciably increases the probability that something penetrating the cable and coming in contact with a live conductor will also come in contact with the CPC - thereby causing a protective device to operate.
I'm not an electrician, so I suppose I should keep my gob shut! However, I agree that a bare earth wire would be advantageous in such situations. Perhaps I must have missed something, but what is the advantage of having an insulated earth wire, apart from any proposed legal requirements?

I'm not an electrician, so I suppose I should keep my gob shut! However, I agree that a bare earth wire would be advantageous in such situations.
Indeed - and also, as I subsequently added, in some situations would enable cable damage/deterioration to be detected somewhat earlier by IR testing.
Perhaps I must have missed something, but what is the advantage of having an insulated earth wire, apart from any proposed legal requirements?
That's what I asked eric, but have yet to have a reply. As I said, the only (fractional) advantage I can think of is the avoidance of a need for G/Y sleeving at the terminations (and some people even discuss whether even that is actually 'required').

Kind Regards, John

Quicker, easier and cheaper to terminate.
As you will have seen, I acknowledged that - but do you think that that slightly increased 'convenience' is enough to overcome the (albeit small) 'safety' advantages I mentioned?

Kind Regards, John

Hasn’t this been standard in Eire for a while now ?
It's not the same thing. This Earthsure or whatever it's called still had a reduced size CPC and it is an identifier rather than rated as insulation. The T&E in the south of Ireland has a full sized and insulated cpc, so is much bigger and more expensive. (It also can't be PVC for the past number of years.)

We should fit earth sleeve, however whether simply not fitted, or fallen off, I have seen many installations where it is missing. And the back boxes are not that big that it is not possible for an earth wire not to touch a live one. I understand why the earth sleeve is missing, one has to buy such a huge hank of it.

We should fit earth sleeve, however whether simply not fitted, or fallen off, I have seen many installations where it is missing. And the back boxes are not that big that it is not possible for an earth wire not to touch a live one.
I'm very inclined to agree, which is why I always use sleeking but, as you will know, some people aree prepared to argue that it is not actually 'necessary' (or 'required')
I understand why the earth sleeve is missing, one has to buy such a huge hank of it.
One does if one wants a sensible price, but one can buy as little as 5m or 10m if one wants to. However, the cost is trivial - even 100m will cost only around £5 - £10, depending on size, and will 'last a lifetime' ;)

Kind Regards, John

As you will have seen, I acknowledged that - but do you think that that slightly increased 'convenience' is enough to overcome the (albeit small) 'safety' advantages I mentioned?

Kind Regards, John
I was responding to JBR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back