New tyres

Thanks everyone. I've decided to go with the Continental Eco Contact 3 seen as they are very highly reviewed, I'm not prepared to skimp on tyres and they are the only contact between me and the road! I took a centre cap off one of the wheels (one of the things holding it on snapped off so if anyone knows where I can get replacements from that would be great - part no. 97BG-1000-EC - see photo) and now I understand that it is the locking wheelnut key. I'm arranging for all 4 tyres to be replaced at a local place for £180. Will ask them not to tighten everything too tight too. Cheers everyone
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Located some replacement caps for a fiver each, will order some if any are too damaged. Just out of the interest, the other fiesta will need at least 2 new tyres soon, anyone know any best buys for 165/70R13? Preferably no more than £40 each! Thanks

Always a good bet is to have a look at blackcircles.com and mytyres.co.uk to find something good and then approach a local business and use the online price to get a good deal. works with most people. Kiwk-fit have a 25% off Michelin but you may need to buy 4 to get that deal.

I've just had 4 fitted for £300 which is about £100 cheaper than any local price before haggling.

Note how the hexagonal nut base is located tight against the socket cup end face.

If the tool does not seem to locate into the wheel nut - look for a gap, hex to cup face, the hexagon part is an interference fit in the cup.
My particular one had moved 'back' and therefore would not locate in wheel nut - Not easy to notice this - My first use since vehicle serviced... What happened? - I can only guess.

A sharp hammer blow on (protected) hex end, with open cup end resting on bench restored the situation.
:cool:

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for all your help everyone. The wheelnut key worked fine, and I've now got 4 brand new Continental EcoContact 3 tyres - although I've not done much driving they feel a lot better and the balancing has vastly reduced the vibration in the steering wheel. So far I'd definitely recommend them.

Now looking for a couple of tyres for the other car, need to be 165/70R13. What does everyone think, Conti EcoContact 3, Dunlop SP30 or Barum Brillantis? I'm aware that the SP30s are very quiet and that's important with the long journeys we'll be doing, but grip (especially in the wet) is the most important aspect. let me know what you think if you've got a few minutes. Cheers in advance

165/70R13 not in Which tests.

they have
Continental EcoContact3 (155/70R13T)
Continental EcoContact3 (165/70 R14T)
Bridgestone B 330 Evo (165/70 R14T)
Hankook Optimo K715 (155/70R13T)
Michelin Energy E3A (165/70 R14T)
Pirelli P3000 Energy (155/70R13T)
Bridgestone B250 (155/70R13T)
in the best buy tables though (best first)

Back