New UK cable and switches for use in Spain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
The house is due for a re wire so I can I use cable and consumer unit from the uk and can I remove all the standard Spanish light switches and replace with a wall box and English type switches with out any issues ?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
All equipment which is CE marked is suitable for use in any EU country - or at least that's what the bureaucrats would have us believe

And 99% is probably of Chinese origin

Hi

As a Spanish property owner, I would most strongly advise against rewiring to UK standards. Although under EU law, it APPEARS to be compliant, convincing the Spanish authorities WILL be a completely different kettle of fish. (they seem to be a law unto themselves irrespective of what EU law says!!!!!!)

In the UK, we use single-pole circuit breakers. In Spain they are all double-pole, (because the German Schuko plug is un-polarised). We use twin and earth cable, where the earth cable is smaller than the L&N and un-insulated. In Spain, all conductors are the same size, and are all insulated in the appropriate colour and run in flexible conduit. (there is no grey "wrapping" around cables in Spain, they are all singles.)

We use ring circuits fused at 32A. Spain uses Radial Circuits fused at 16A. Spain also allows sockets in the lighting circuit, which is rated at 10A, whereas in the UK it is 0nly 6A. (there is no easy way of differentiating between sockets on Alumbrado (lighting) or Otros Usos (16A Power)).

Oh, in Spain your monthly standing charge (as you are probably aware) increases with maximum demand. The lowest (and thus most common) is only 3.3KW or ~16A!! In the UK we usually have at least 63A coming in!

Sponsored Links
Hi All, thanks for the information

Astra99 - thanks for the heads up, looking at the cable on Leroy merlin it looks identical to what is in the uk but half again in price, is it not the same ??

Are you looking at singles for use in conduit? If so, then apologies for misunderstanding your original post. I understood it to mean using twin & earth and ring circuits etc etc!

If you are comparing the price of single cables, brown, blue and green/yellow then Leroy Merlin show 100m of 2.5mmsq, priced at €31.30 and TLC Direct advertise it at £23. £23 equates to approximately €27 so the Spanish price is higher, especially once VAT is added, 20% UK, 21% Spain.

Bear in mind that, unless you are driving over, you may (will!) fall foul of the budget airlines baggage allowances!

HTH

PS. Leroy Merlin's "Exterior Cable" does not look like it has any armouring on it (like our SWA). Perhaps it is just some stock pictures on their website.

Hi Astra99

thanks for your help, I confused myself with grey sheathed twin and earth as per uk not as you state single conduit cable as required in Spain,

one other thing, the round pin sockets and the Spanish light switches can you purchase the wall socket box cutters for the sds drills ?

thanks again

Sorry, I don't know about box cutters, your local ferreterria is your best bet.

Also, don't forget the joint boxes, usually at high level in each room where the cables change direction en route to the dis board. The contents of (some of) these are often a rat's nest of cables! They appear to be no more than a standard socket back box with a thin cover plate which is then painted over with a stipple paint!

Sponsored Links
Back