New velux window leaking inside the frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had a new velux put in our loft conversion last year. It is a GHL M04 type window. Now that the room is decorated and we've moved in there, I've noticed it has started to leak in the lower right hand corner, inside the frame.

Water is somehow getting inside the frame from the right, then runs along the little lip and down the inside slope of the wall. It is just a trickle, but enough to be a real pain.

velux0.jpg

I've called the builder back and he had a look at it and says he can't see what's causing the problem . It may be due to specific direction of wind and rain but obviously shouldn't be happening.

I've taken a couple of shots of the flashing outside. Anyone got any ideas?

velux1.jpg

velux2.jpg

Could he have put in the wrong flashing kit perhaps? The slope of the roof is 34 degrees (from the horizontal).

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but the tiles look to have been cut too much towards the middle and is the flashing comeing away too? there are videos on youtube about installing these.

Catlad: when you say 'side rails' do you mean the metal pieces that are screwed down on top of the wooden frame?

I noticed that those bits of metal don't go all the way down, but stop about an inch or so above the black plastic end caps. Which seems a bit odd as it leaves about an inch of wood 'exposed' (although still covered by the window itself when shut).

rjm2k: I don't think it can be the tiles too far over. Bear in mind the water is getting in inside the frame.

Sponsored Links
Can you see where the flashing is coming away from the side rail? surely that will just catch water and take it inside? looks like the flashing should be tucked under the side rail like the rest

Yes that is what I am saying they on the wrong side. so when they are on the correct side there will be no gap at the bottom.

Catlad: you're totally right. I just took all those bits of flashing off, swapped them over, and they now extend all the way down.

I've told my builder and I hope he feels like an idiot.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

I just hope it doesn't leak now. It definitely looks neater.

rjm2k: I do see what you're saying. But I think it's still probably within the tolerances of the design (fingers crossed eh?)

Ben

The side trims are fitted to the wrong sides therefore upside down
undo the screws each side and they will slide out
swap each to the opposite sides.
The little tag should be at the top aand slips into the pre cut slot in the back gutter. these are then bent down..

when you have a trim out take a close look at the screw holes the top hole will be a flat hole the other will have a raised area around the hole to discourage water...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back