New vertical rad hot on the right side and top but not as hot on the rest of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Flow i think is coming from the left, TRV is on the left and thats the way the pipes come also.

Had some work done and the plumber came as part of the package so wouldent have chose him myself.

Anyway apparently he has bled it (i have just got home) but i will try and bleed it again tommorow, but he was winging on saying vertical radiators are a nightmare and quite often have these issues which i just dont believe for a second.

Any advice/ideas?

Sponsored Links
Plumber is right ,vertical rads are often pants.
You need to establish for certain which port on the rad is supposed to be connected to the flow ,and it is indeed connected so .
If you turn off every other radiator by its TRV,does new rad heat fully ??

As above tall designer type rads can be a nightmare
Often have specific flow/return connections plus some have internal baffles as well,
Even fitted correctly can be very sluggish to work.

This is the rad, pipework has been slightly extended to reach the new rad.

Sponsored Links

This is the rad, pipework has been slightly extended to reach the new rad.
Also, with rads like yours, the holes allowing flow between the 'tubes' and the 'slats' can be relatively small.
It's not unknown for a couple of these to be blocked by swarf from manufacture, that has been dislodged by transport.
If this happens, a slat may only slowly heat up compared to others and may heat from one end only, when other slats warm up evenly.

Unfortunately it seems with these types of rad that it's form over functionality. They look nice but they are a CH bods worst nightmare. Especially if the system is on microbore. Not sure if anyone actually suggested to steer well clear of them. Doesn't help you I know but there's nothing good I can say about them I'm afraid.

I have come across loads of them, 2 of them that I never managed to get to work properly, even with all the other rads off on a new, clean system, a lots of other where they just don't provide the heat needed for the room they're in. Client had to send them back for a refund and then installed proper convecting vertical rads. I refuse to install them now unless they in the smallest of rooms where they may actually do the job.

The only other thing im wondering is:

The pipework comes from the left, its been extending a bit across and still comes from that direction.

The side that gets hottest first is the RIGHT hand side of the radiator so im assuming thats the flow side? If so does that not mean the pipework is the wrong way round? The TRV is fitted on the left of the radiator (not sure if its bidirectional, i think it is because the plumber asked which side we would prefer it on.

You are correct,the pipe that heats first is the flow. If your radiator is such that the flow MUST enter that specific inlet port ,then it's correct. However , the lockshield would be better positioned on the other side,and TRV on the flow.

You are correct,the pipe that heats first is the flow. If your radiator is such that the flow MUST enter that specific inlet port ,then it's correct. However , the lockshield would be better positioned on the other side,and TRV on the flow.
Is that easy to swap them around for a complete novice? Is it messy etc?

How did you generally fix it?
Often it could be down to a simple flow and return switch, some make it obvious which is which with stick on arrows, many don't. Some need a system balance, can spend ages with other rads off and slowly bringing them into the system, some are just crap and end up being tepid irrespective of work done and some get removed for a traditional radiator to be fitted. I often refuse to fit them these days cos of the headache they cause

Is that easy to swap them around for a complete novice? Is it messy etc?
Before doing anything,you need to know for certain which side of the rad the flow should go into. Was there any thing like stick on labels affixed to the rad to indicate this, sometimes stuck on the back of the rad ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back