New W/M only one input!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We just got a new washing machine, as the old one packed in. We had it fitted by the vendor on tuesday, but last night (wednesday) discovered that the dishwasher wasn\\\'t working. I pulled the w/m out and had a look and here\\\'s what I found.
There is only one water input to the new w/m, whereas the old had two. The hot water pipe comes from a Y piece which also goes to the dishwasher.
The guy who fitted the w/m attached the cold input to the w/m, and left the hot pipe loose. He turned off the valve leading to the Y piece for the hot (which is why the dishwasher stopped working.

What should I do? Attach the hot to the w/m and leave the valve open? Close off the \\\"extra\\\" hot pipe from the Y-piece?

Any advice welcome.
Ta,
g./

Sponsored Links
Presumably the W/M is supposed to have a cold input. I would leave that as it is.
Can you remove the Y piece? Then run the Hot straight to the Dishwasher.
This is based on my experience: my W/M wants Cold in, the dishwasher wants Hot in.

Thanks Ned. That's kinda what I was thinking, but not having done this before... y'know.

So I'll give that a try when I get home from work tonight and let you know how i get on!

Cheers,
g./

Sponsored Links
Mine's a Bosch. I just checked the installation instructions and for mine it says if you connect to the hot it reduces the washing cycle time, which is why I did it that way.
Looks as though it's a matter of choice.

Hi All, Thanks for the replies.
Had the w/m vendor back out, and he closed off one branch of the Y joint from the hot supply.
So now w/m is using cold only, dishwasher is on hot only, and all is well with the world.

Thanks again for your posts. We can call this closed.
Gary

I heard that it's best to let the DW fill with cold water.
this is because of egg yolk.
the cold water will wash off the yolk before it heats up too much and cooks onto the dishes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back