New washing machine recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my other thread about my failing washing machine… does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement?

Current machine is 7 kg max (I think) and 1600 spin. I do appreciate the fast spin. The other function I use is the delayed start. Otherwise nothing special needed. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
£200, £500 or £1,000?

free-standing?

Under-counter, not built in.

I really don’t know what a washing machine should cost….

lots of people like to spend around £500 on a domestic appliance, so the market offers lots around that price.

I'm usually a Bosch enthusiast, but Samsung seem to be building some good stuff.

best buys from "Which" around that price are

Samsung WW90T684DLH | Freestanding 82% £569.00

Samsung WW90J6410CX | Freestanding 81% £529.00

Samsung WW90T554DAW | Freestanding 81% £569.00

Bosch WAT2840SGB | Freestanding 80% £500.00

Bosch WAU28S80GB | Freestanding 80% £521.00

John Lewis JLWM1437 | Freestanding 79% £549.00

Bosch WAJ28008GB | Freestanding 79% £329.00

These are all from the best buy list. The percentages are marks scored on test, so you can see all they scored about the same. They all score full marks for spin but I can't see if they have delayed start.

You can take out trial membership if you want to read the reviews and test results.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not a bosch or siemens unless they've improved the electronics which meant the machine would stall on spin when washing one or two small items, like towels, because the machine treated the load as unbalanced. Have a Miele now which is rock solid and came with a ten year warranty.

Blup

We paid over £1200 for our Miele about 7 years ago. It came with a 10 year guarantee. We’ve had them out once but it was a pipe scaled up which was not covered but they didn’t charge. However, assuming we get 10 years out of it, for the same money we could have bought 4 x £300 machines, 5 x £240 machines or even 6 x £200 machines and probably got more time out of them. We always used to have Hotpoint and then a Siemens but they didn’t seem to last long at all. I’ve had a £200 machine at work for over 10 years now for washing the overalls and oily rags and that lives outside in all weathers under a tarpaulin! Just pot luck I suppose.

I’m surprised to find that max spin speed is more often 1400 than 1600, with maybe only the most expensive and larger models going up to 1600.

Would I notice the difference? I do normally try to hang the washing outside and this being Scotland it must help if it starts out a bit drier!

You can take out trial membership if you want to read the reviews and test results.
Wot he said.

Until someone starts publishing What Washing Machine And Tumble Drier, or White Goods Monthly, Which? is about as good as it gets.

I used to be a miele fan, but Im not sure that their high price is worth it compared to other premium makes. Plus they have a disgusting customer service ethos.

I’m surprised to find that max spin speed is more often 1400 than 1600, with maybe only the most expensive and larger models going up to 1600.

Would I notice the difference? I do normally try to hang the washing outside and this being Scotland it must help if it starts out a bit drier!

I heard somewhere that the manufacturers tend to use common parts throughout their range, so the faster spinners just wear out faster.

A machine properly built for fast spins would presumably have better bearings and stability.

Further to my other thread about my failing washing machine… does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement?

Current machine is 7 kg max (I think) and 1600 spin. I do appreciate the fast spin. The other function I use is the delayed start. Otherwise nothing special needed. Ideas?

I think it could well be a question that there will be a limited choice and you will have to accept what you are given if you require a new washing machine .

Thanks to Covid and Brexit white goods are in short supply ( and with Brexit they aint going to get better )

I heard somewhere that the manufacturers tend to use common parts throughout their range, so the faster spinners just wear out faster.

A machine properly built for fast spins would presumably have better bearings and stability.
Washing machine wars for spin speeds meant many failed bearing as they were not upgraded at the same time, largely rectified now.Bought large 10kg machine with 1600 spin speed for around £350 so cheap does not mean small and slow.

Last edited:
Ive sometimes wondered if you didnt need to fit it into a normal space, if a laundrette machine, possibly recon, might make long-term financial sense, as Im assuming they are built like tanks.

I think it could well be a question that there will be a limited choice and you will have to accept what you are given if you require a new washing machine .

Thanks to Covid and Brexit white goods are in short supply ( and with Brexit they aint going to get better )
What are you on about???
I recently replaced washing machine and fridge freezer and I was overwhelmed by the millions of different models available with next day delivery.
If anything it looks like they have too many in stock.

What are you on about???
I recently replaced washing machine and fridge freezer and I was overwhelmed by the millions of different models available with next day delivery.
If anything it looks like they have too many in stock.

Lucky You , We wanted to change our Washing Machine and tumble drier earler this year, enquiries to the main White Goods Stores proved that supplies were difficult to obtain, choice was limited , Hotpoint was avaible but only because its the only one manufactured in UK ,
Maybe that the EU Lorry deliveries have improved over the last few weeks .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back