New Water Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Struggling with flow on our shared supply (used to be one house) that is also lead rising main. We live in a hard water area so effects aren’t so bad lead wise but I think the old pipe could be contributing to my problems of flow.

Anyway, before I install an accumulator I’m going to look at a new main.

My question:

Can the rising main and meter be fitted to some kind of lock box outside the property? I’ve got very little room for it inside and don’t really want to dig up my hall way floor.

So basically can I come 750 deep across the 6ft of driveway and up into an insulated box outside... then through the wall into the hallway and plumb from there?

Sponsored Links
Yes, have a look at an Insuduct.

Although your meter won’t go in it but you can have that combined with your new outside stoptap.

the meter is very often put in a small pit in the pavement, outside your boundary.

if you have wooden floors you won't need to dig up the hallway.

Hallway has been backfilled and concreted I’m afraid .... it will mean running a pipe along or behind the skirting maybe chased into the wall.
Got to get through a staircase / round the stringer too

Sponsored Links
Is there any way to assess what flow rate I’ll get from a new main? I’ve got 10l min at the moment.... they state 9l min?
I could be changing for nothing and still have to have an accumulator

the new pipe does not have to go under the hall.

Thanks I know ... just wanted to know about getting from the road to the house, found the insulated ducting now.

It was you who mentioned the pipes going under the hallway

I’ve got south staffs coming out next week to do a flow and pressure check at the road.

The same people who make the insuduct also make an insulated box that can go on top of it called the 'Groundbreaker' which can take your meter if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back