Water main replacement (mini)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a plumber ready to replace my lead water main because its sprung a leak on the joint to the stopcock (i was demolishing a brick wall that had been built around it, the mortar seemed to be plugging a pinhole leak in the lead.)

The lead main goes into the wall at floor level and down the cavity. Then outside the water meter is against the back wall of the house, inside a plastic white 6 inch pipe. Its about 400mm deep. This 6 inch pipe is not original to the house, the house was built in the 1950s, there is newer concrete around the meter cover, about 600mm x 500mm. This is at the back of the house, and we share a water main with 3 other houses as far as I can tell, so our meter sits on a branch from a pipe running across the back of the house. My supplier is yorkshire water (because they're the best, naturally)

I'm digging the hole outside. What can I expect when i dig down? Is there a better option for enclosing the water meter? Its currently sat in a puddle of water so you can only see the very top of the meter.

I expect space will be limited when i expose the pipework as the meter is right against the wall, so are plumbers allowed to redo the pipework around the meter?

I saw plumberparts fitting an atplas chamber on youtube. Is this an option where the incoming will still be lead or iron? Do these have to be sourced from the water board? Is there an alternative? Would the water board reposition the meter?

Sponsored Links
You could put your water meter in whatever chamber you like. 6" plastic pipe is popular because you can fit your arm down it easily.

You could move it away from the wall but you will be limited by your T off from the shared pipe. Hopefully that's a fair bit back away from your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back