new water supply for washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this - i'm a newbie so please bear with me. I'm about to convert an unused cupboard into a utility room. There is a toilet in the adjacent room so I can connect to the sink water feed and waste.

My question is regarding the water supply. The sink in the toilet is fed by plastic pipes apart from the last 300mm into the taps which is copper. Can I tee off this feed with plastic push fit to supply the washing machine? My concern is that there would be no earth bonding continuity. The original pipework in the house is copper but the toilet was a more recent conversion and the plumber used plastic. If it's relevant, my electrical supply unit is fully RCCB protected and the electrical main that the washing machine will be connected to has a 32amp MCB.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Worth checking that the supply you intend to use is mains fed - washing machines usually need mains pressure to fill.

If the machine is correctly wired and is on an RCD protected circuit then the electrical side doesn't present any issues from the supply point of view. It may be worth asking an electrician to check if the earth bonding is up to scratch on the rest of your pipework.

Thanks for the advice, newboy. We had a new heating system put in before Christmas, and the earth bonding for the rest of the house was checked out then. Water supply is also off mains so now I'm happy to proceed. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back