New Window What’s an egress hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at getting a new upvc window, please could someone explain what an egress hinge is?

Is is worth the extra money and what benefits does it have over a non egress hinge?

My existing windows have the attached picture, not sure if this is egress?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 891F2A8F-3D94-4261-85B7-FE63A81035E1.jpeg
    891F2A8F-3D94-4261-85B7-FE63A81035E1.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 314
Sponsored Links
An egress hinge allows the opener to open fully to near on 90° to allow you to 'egress' in case of fire, normal hinges do not do this, as you push open with the handle theh hinge side moves inwards kind of limiting the space you have to crawl through, a general rule of thumb is all upstairs windows apart from bathroom/toilets, kitchens don't need, I'm sure someone will pop along and give you the full run down on fire regs

Many thanks for the reply, do you know if the attach image is egress, it seems the window has to open with a clear opening of 450mm according to one site I looked at.

The attached is the hinges I have downstairs already so would be interesting to know if these are egress.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Great thanks for coming back to me, it seems the non egress hinge still gives a good opening to comply with building regulations

I know of no non egress/easy clean window hinges that comply with building regs. They will be looking for the window to open to at least 85degrees , as flush to the side if the frame as possible ( like old wooden windows). The clear opening has to be a minimum of 450mm wide X 750mm high ( 0.3m2) , unless that is physically impossible. Top hung hinges automatically become fire egress hinges but you should still be looking for that clear opening size ( by clear , I mean at no point when the window is open fully us the narrowest point less then those dimensions).
As goes the regs... replacement windows state that ALL habitable rooms upstairs must have fire egress ( Inc offices ) , which means you may have to alter the existing styles to facilitate fire egress. The general rule of thumb is if you can get a single bed in it is habitable. Bathrooms are exempt but not upstairs living areas or upstairs kitchens ( best practice ) . bungalows and ground floor, if you can exit the room via a door that goes to a corridor or a room that has a door leading directly outside then you do not need fire escape hinges. If however the door from the room exits to a room or corridor with another door leading to an internal area of the property it needs a fire egress hinges ( these are typically known as rooms within a room ...usually ' snug' type rooms or offices). Good practice is ALL downstairs bedrooms get fire egress ( not required by building regs though ).
Anything too small for fire egress , take a picture and do the best you can , keeping a record of the 'clear' opening, sometimes it is impossible to satisfy fire egress perfectly. As long as you can prove you didn't make the ' clear' opening any worse you will be fine.
There is one exception to the above , and it is mightly odd in my opinion...and that is if you are replacing old uPVC then you can replace like for like as long as you are not making the situation worse...my opinion ignore this and always try and get fire egress hinges in!

OP , for the cost of fire egress hinges , is it really worth it, at point of manufacture , maximum cost should be £10-£15 and even retro fitting , the hinges are still only £25-£30...

Personally , as a company , we always err on the side of caution, if in doubt put fire egress in ... All bedrooms regardless of location get fire egress. I'd rather know we've done as much as possible to aid in someone's escape in the event of a fire

Many thanks ronniecabers for the detailed response, appreciate your help.

The window is for a integral garage conversion to replace the garage door which has now been bricked up.

The garage can be access internally via the house.

On the quote for the window it says
Side Hung Hinge
Egress Easy Clean 12"

Is this sufficient to comply or do I need ask for fire egress?

I uploaded a picture of my existing windows as was told these are not egress but the width of the opening seems less than the 450mm to satisfy the regs

Was hoping to keep costs down?

Thanks again

You are covered by the easy clean hinge, they double up as fire egress. They will open to 85 degrees ( ish ) like a fire egress but have the advantage that that they can be ' slid 'across to access the outside of the glass to clean it. Ask your installer for a demo of how it works once he's fitted it.
For reference a lot of fire egress hinges these days are actually easy clean hinges, as it negates the need to either get a ladder up outside to clean the windows or lean out at potentially dangerous angles.

Ok thanks again, will stick with the quoted hinges.

Was just looking at ways to bring the cost down and the hinges seemed a good way.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back