New windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in desperate need of new windows, they've all broken down, getting lots of moisture and condensation between the panes and the room interior side of the glass. Has anyone used safe style UK? they offer 0% interest over 2 years if pay deposit. Do local window fitters offer finance options??

Sponsored Links
Try and go for local recommendations from friends etc

If all that's wrong is misted up double glazed units then you don't need new windows just the DG units replaced?

Sponsored Links
My UPVC are well over 20 Years old.
Had some glass units replaced a couple of years ago. Couple of cracks and a couple that has blown.
Worth getting someone out to have a look at yours.

If you are convinced you need new windows do try a local company. Might be cheaper getting a bank loan than 0% from a national company.
Be wary of sign on the day, manager specials, etc if you go for a national company.

Hi, I'm in desperate need of new windows, they've all broken down, getting lots of moisture and condensation between the panes and the room interior side of the glass. Has anyone used safe style UK? they offer 0% interest over 2 years if pay deposit. Do local window fitters offer finance options??

A local company would do it cheaper and perhaps better. Arrange a bank loan for it of necessary.

Steer clear of safestyle, they use duraflex pvc profile and trust me when I say this but it is the worst system out there, add to that the national company attitude on customer care, they won't care if your unhappy, it won't affect their business one bit if they're spending millions a year on advertising, David Seaman won't come cheap even now, as said go with a local company who rely on recomandations

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've got a local independent giving me a quote on Wednesday. Will replacing ones that have broken down with new glass make much difference in terms of condensation and heat retention

Will replacing ones that have broken down with new glass make much difference in terms of condensation and heat retention

I would say very little difference. There are companies which claim to be able to offer a cheaper repair for windows which have suffered internal condensation, between the panes. Condensation between the panes is mostly a cosmetic issue.

Condensation within the units is down to blown seals and the unit needs to be replaced, condensation on the room side of the unit points to excessive moisture in the air within your property, however it could be argued that the failed units are acting as cold spots allowing condensation to form, new units MAY help with that but I wouldn't fully bank on it. The replacement units won't be as efficient as new ones fitted into new windows being only 12mm cavity and 20mm overall, 99% of modern windows are 20mm cavity 28mm overall with warm edge spacer bars and heat reflective glass

Is there any reason you can think of thats causing the condensation?

No it's always been like that, my wife grew up in the house 1940s ex council, and the 2 East facing Windows have always suffered, only happens when nights get cold.

Condensation is from warm air meeting cold surface. It means the glass is extremely cold. The double glaze isn't sealed properly. In effect, you have single glaze.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back