New windows

I am afraid you are very much mistaken there @DiyNutJob . ALL sealed units have dessicant . Also very very few sealed units are sealed in wood with putty these days. No manufacturer of sealed units will warranty a unit puttied in. One , due to Linseed oil degrading seals and two, putty cracks over time and let's water in , and a lot of wooden older frames had no 'drainage ' ( as upvc does ) and thus this lead to those with cracked putty ' sitting ' in water

double glazing installed into timber these days always has a 5-6mm gap and the sash is drained and vented.

the beading may be fitted with rubber seals, butyl tape or low mod silicone, but the air gap behind is maintained.

Sponsored Links
Totally agree Notch about newer wooden frames, they are much more like Upvc frames with air gap and drainage.

older wooden frames , especially 30 years old , are unlikely to be drained and were very frequently put in with putty usually back putty and putty on the beads

double glazing installed into timber these days always has a 5-6mm gap.
Double glazing installed into timer in the old days also had gaps all around. This makes sense to allow the timber to expand and contract.

Minimal gaps though, with a 12mm deep rebate you really had to have tight gaps to avoid seeing the spacer bar in the sightline. Also old windows like you have shown in your picture the old John Carr/Rugby Joinery had no drainage at all, there's a big estate in the city I live in that went up in the late 80s and were still building 10 years later, apparently one of the biggest in Europe, within 1 year the company worked for had a constant stream of work and before the estate was even finished the early movers were already ripping out and fitting upvc.

Sponsored Links
Who cares about the spacer bar? Not me. Just because everyone else have ripped out their windows doesn't mean I have to. Good job I haven't. The ones I have are good stuff, after reconditioning.

spacer.png

Ok thanks for the advice everyone, I've found I local company who have given me a quote, first thing he said was that he thought frames were in good condition better off just replacing panes, hinges and handles. So for entire house except kitchen will have new glass and one small brand new frame and glass, 3k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back