New Xbox 360 trips the Main RCD of flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I just brought a new Xbox 360. its got a peculiar issue with power. as soon as i power it on from the switch (or plug it on in the wall sockets) it trips the main RCD of flat and then none sockets works.

i took it back to store but they found everything okay when they tested it in their store (GAME).

now they wont refund as its not faulty and i have opened it, moreover they wont replace as they say its power issue at my flat instead of the XBOX. argument is, its working at different sockets in their store (they tested in front of me)...

Can you please tell me or suggest what it could be? i have also tried one time by taking all the plugs of house out of the sockets (most of them like fridge , tv , sky , wifi etc), even then it flipped the RCD.

Please help!!!

Thanks
Shiv :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Maybe the store sockets aren't on an RCD.
Take it back to them, it is up to them to prove it isn't faulty (within 6 months of purchase).

Do you have a mate with the same model of XBOX you could try in your flat?
That would provide it, one way or another.

Thanks for reply guys.

The guys at stores were very reluctant to take it on face value and i was not in mood to create a scene, so i want to go there when i am pretty sure it is the power supply of xbox.

one of my mate is in same building but he isnt around now so when he comes back i will test it at his flat.

also, wouldn't it had caused any electric shock to the guy at store who was testing it? or something else.. cause the xbox powered up like charm their ..

I spoke to microsoft and they gave me an incident number and said take this and box at store and they are obliged to replace it. but then what if it happens again with new box :(

So would it good to check with electrician? or can i somehow by pass the RCD (like turn off for few min ... or something ?)

Sponsored Links
What happens if you plug the Xbox into another socket ?

Have any other appliances been used in the suspect socket with out the RCD tripping ?

If other appliances in the suspect socket trip the RCD then the socket is most likely incorrectly wired with earth and neutral exchanged.

one of my mate is in same building but he isnt around now so when he comes back i will test it at his flat.
As good a place as ever to start

also, wouldn't it had caused any electric shock to the guy at store who was testing it? or something else.. cause the xbox powered up like charm their ..
No, an RCD just detects imbalances in the live and neutral currents, if something is connecting to the protective conductor (earth) the live and neutral currents won't be balanced, exceed the threshold of the RCD and it will trip.
I spoke to microsoft and they gave me an incident number and said take this and box at store and they are obliged to replace it. but then what if it happens again with new box :(
Try it first, if it does it again and is proved to be a fault with the PSU then take it back again.

So would it good to check with electrician? or can i somehow by pass the RCD (like turn off for few min ... or something ?)

You could check with an electrician if you like but will cost you for the privilege, (unless you know a friendly one), It may get to the point where you need a sparky to check things out however lets be certain the problem isn't with the XBOX PSU first.
Bypassing an RCD which is there for your safety isn't the way forward!

You could do that, my suggestion was to try his box in your flat.
Just in case the RCD in your flat is over-sensitive. Try both, then ylou'll have all the ammo you need for GAME.

Do you by any chance have lots of computer equipment / tv/DVD/bluray equipment plugged in to sockets around your flat. These kind of appliances can / do leak some current to earth anyway, it could be that plugging in the Xbox is pushing the leakage current over what the rcd can take, especially if its tripping is a bit sensitive. Try unplugging other equipment and then try the Xbox again.

He already unplugged them! see his very first post.

Can you please tell me or suggest what it could be? i have also tried one time by taking all the plugs of house out of the sockets (most of them like fridge , tv , sky , wifi etc), even then it flipped the RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back