Extension of power cords to devices… (Xbox, sky etc…)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

just wanting to know if it would be considered safe to rewire (to extend) the psu dc side of an Xbox 360 (falcon) and a Xbox one, as they don’t make a replacement that is longer, or sell any extension dc bits. If it would be safe, what cable type should I use?

would it be a safer option to get someone to 3d print and wire up an extension so, they would print the female end, and male end to make it like a regular plug which is easily able to change the cable length?

also, what cable would I need to extend the sky q mini box power cable, I know it’s an 8 shape, but that’s all I can workout, do I need to replace the whole cable or can I use an extension?

Sponsored Links
The Sky Q and Q Mini use a IEC C7 connector. Just buy a new cable of the required length.

For the Xbox, extending the DC cable is a really bad idea, as it will have been designed for whatever voltage drop occurs along it's length and there will very likely be issues with EMC if it is extended or modified.
Extend the AC cable instead.

I was getting so confused with all the different types of connections that has been produce, I mean, why can’t we all use 1 type as standered, a “beefier“ type for things that need more power?

so, I have a set of draws, and on top is where I have my sky, Xbox one, 360 on, but it’s too high for all the power leads. The set of draws only has room behind it for a normal plug, but there is room under the unit for things like the PSU, however the cables to the Xbox 360 is about 3” too short, and the Xbox one is about 5 inches too short, with the sky just 1 inch too small.

Sponsored Links
You could cut a slot in the backboard of the drawers and mount an extension block to the underside of the chest top?

So, the only space inside my draws is at the bottom on the floor, this is big enough to put the PSU brick under, but the cables are then too short to reach the top.
The draws are a slim design, so my draws take up all the room, the back of the draw when closed touches the back panel. The only thing I could do if I can’t find a solution is to put the PSU brick in a draw… but there won’t be any ventilation and I would loose a draw that I desperately need more than having the psu brick hanging on the side of the unit, a perfect trip hazard here… reason why I can’t really leave it as is.
That's unnecessary, surely they are off-the-shelf plugs you can get hold of?
I wouldn't worry about volt drop if your extending it by less than metres.

From what I can work out, they don’t make extensions for the dc side of the PSU. So, my unit is exactly 110cm from floor to the very top, and according to the Xbox website, it says the DC side is 1.1 meters, so i literally need something like 3 inches… not fully sure how high the power port is on the console, or the additional cable needed for the angle.

I have just read that the same length cable is used for the Xbox one, so the same as before on the 360 applies to the one.

Should I contact Microsoft regarding this and see what they recommend?

Put the brick on top of the drawer next to the xbox and get a longer cable that plugs into the brick, they are a common type of cable.

Skybox will be a figure 8 cable readily available in different lengths

If you want to extend the DC side, post a picture of the plug and then maybe we can work out what it is.
EDIT: I just googled it. Give up. Extend the AC side or buy some new drawers.

You can get line plugs on Aliexpress for less than a fiver but a socket will be trickier. You can get a line socket as part of an adaptor but not all the pins are populated [EDIT 2 - this is about the DC side, not the AC side].

Last edited:
Pull the drawers a little further away from the wall.
Put a multiblock extension on the rear and plug everything into that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back