The right cable to extend a small power lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After quite a bit of research I bought this to extend the power lead for an Amazon Echo Show 5 2nd generation.

4.0mm x 1.7mm DC Female to 4.8mm x 1.7mm Male Extension Patch Cable 90cm

I did not want to simply use an extension lead as it's really cumbersome where I have the device.
The problem is that the joining part of the cable fits but not into the device. I don't know if it's the fault of the extension lead or the device has a bespoke fitting.

Regardless, I'm now thinking of simply using a couple of basic connector blocks wrapped in insulation tape as they won't be seen. I've never done this to this sort of cable before. If it's all possible, what type of cable can I use? I've got some twin from an alarm clock if that will work?

Power Leaad.jpg

Thanks very much.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You have bought the wrong cable.
The Echo Show 5 (2nd gen) power plug is 4mm x 1.7mm
That’s why the 4.7mm plug doesn’t fit!

See here for the right one!
5M Extension Cable Lead for Amazon Echo Show 5 2nd Gen (C76N8S) https://amzn.eu/d/3q7CBs5

Don’t chop the cable and try and add more wire. It will look awful, and you need to ensure the polarity is correct. And you’ll invalidate the warranty.

:oops: Is there an award for 'nob of the year' on this website? I nominate myself.

And it's right there in the description, as clear as anything, yet all I saw was 4mm x 1.7mm, looked at the picture and thought 'Yep, that's it'.

Thanks very much, really appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back