Rating of Flexible cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just received this reply to an enquiry with a well known electronic/electrical supplier:

Further to your error report for the IEC Male C20 to Female C19 Extension Lead.

After checking, the lead is certified at 16A with 1.0mm2 cable. This range of cables has 1.0mm2 cable for lengths of 2m or less, with 1.5mm2 cable for lengths above 2m.

Should I be feeling concerned about using them to supply power to a 3.6KW load?

Sponsored Links
If it's an extension lead I would personally use 1.5mm minimum, although the current would decrease with cable length.

Blup

If it's an extension lead I would personally use 1.5mm minimum, although the current would decrease with cable length.

Blup
Yeah :)
These are extention leads with moulded 16A connectors.

I'm pretty sure there is a rule in some IEC standard that says 0.75mm² is nominally rated at 6A, but this can be increased to 10A for short leads. I would not be surprised if there was a similar rule for 1.0mm².

I presume the thinking is that a short lead is less likely to be subject to grouping/coiling/enclosure, so they can use a rating methodology closer to what BS7671 would desribe as "free air".

Sponsored Links
Yeah :)
These are extention leads with moulded 16A connectors.

It would be sensible to use the leads that come in 1.5mm, those on Amazon quote 10A for 1.0mm cable, 16A for 1.5mm, so maybe an error on your suppliers part

Blup

I had issues with appliance flexes of 0.75 being fitted with 13A fuses, but it seems to be the norm now.

I thought the ''kettle'' connectors were rated at 10A?

C19/20 aren't kettle connectors, they're significantly bigger and the pins are at 90 degrees to those on the smaller version.

Attachments

• 2143E.jpg
    2143E.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 235
It would be sensible to use the leads that come in 1.5mm, those on Amazon quote 10A for 1.0mm cable, 16A for 1.5mm, so maybe an error on your suppliers part

Blup
That's why I enquired, as the paper catalogue states 1.5mm² for the whole range of lengths and manufacturers docs in the site state 1.5mm². However the on line catalogue lists variously as 1.0 or 1.5mm².
From their reply it looks fairly explicit.

It's gonna get warm..... :)
It's not too easy to understand (at least, not for me!) what the CCC tables in BS7671 are implying in relation to the 'operating temp' of flexible cables.

For everything other than 'flexible cables' they give CCCs for cables of a given 'temperature rating' (usually 70°C or 90°C) and people seem to assume that this means that this is the temperature that will be approached when (with the installation method concerned) a current equal to the CCC flows continuously.

However, for 'flexible cables', Table 4F3A gives just a single CCC for each cable CSA, but the footnotes relating to 'rating factors' for various ambient temperatures seem to imply that the table relates to 60°-, 90°-, 110°- and 150°-rated cables.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back