In lieu of a 3 gang extension...

Rok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building an arcade table. There are three mains powered components inside the table - speakers, monitor and single-board computer. The space inside the table is very limited so on a previous build I connected a standard 4 gang extension cord to the outside and brought the wires through so the plugs were connected to the extension outside of the table. This is shown in the attached picture (though the speaker in that case was USB powered hence only two plugs required).

upload_2020-3-11_19-4-24.png

I was hoping for a neater finish on the current build so that there is a single fused AC male power socket exposed and all other wiring is done inside the table. Unfortunately two of the three plugs are too bulky to connect to a 3 or 4 gang extension held within the table.

The extension would actually fit inside the table on its side but obviously, unless the plugs were connected at 90 degrees to the normal way, the plugs and cables would prevent this being an option.

Are there any safe options for replacing the extension lead inside the table or is the best option to proceed as I did with the last build?

Sponsored Links
The extension would actually fit inside the table on its side but obviously, unless the plugs were connected at 90 degrees to the normal way, the plugs and cables would prevent this being an option. ... Are there any safe options for replacing the extension lead inside the table or is the best option to proceed as I did with the last build?
That sort of 'extension' is not a lot deeper than the length of the pins on the plug, so it's hard to see that the situation would be any better if (the largest of) the plugs were plugged into anything else.

The problem, of course, is that the big things are not just 'plugs', but are actually power supplies. Were that not the case, there would be plenty of options which didn't involve plugs at all (remove the plugs and wire the cables 'directly' in some way).

Kind Regards, John

The problem, of course, is that the big things are not just 'plugs', but are actually power supplies.

Other than rewiring to remove the plugs which isn't going to be an option, my only other thought was a special type of 2 gang extension. I could go back to USB speakers which would then leave me with two plugs, one of which can't simply be rewired. So is there something along the lines of this available anywhere?

upload_2020-3-11_20-42-23.png

I've never seen anything like it (and mocked that one up in paint.net) but I imagine there are a lot of electrical accessories that I've never seen. The power supply plug is bulky vertically but both plugs are no wider than the extension and the extension fits inside the table on its side.

Grasping at straws? Maybe... :)

Details please.

You have 3 things to 'plug in'? From what I see so far you have 2 devices with standard 13A plugs and a 5V adapter?

Will something like this work in lieu of the wall wart?:
https://www.euronetwork.co.uk/2-amp...hB2hTQkuDQCGVKFeyQSmqVkmLJmuHDRxoCmv8QAvD_BwE.
IE mains wires in and USB out.

If I understand correctly, and you are able to this or similar device, that means you have 3 mains flexes to connect into a junction box of some sort.

Sponsored Links
Would this this (click here) be of any use ....
So close to being perfect but the cable would have to come from the end. Great to know that this sort of thing exists though! I have a space of 45mm inside the table which will (very snugly) fit a standard extension on its side. Unless it would be safe to drill a hole in the end of that socket and redirect the cable to come out there?

Likely impossible; you'd need to fit a cord grip too.
I shall have a look for you.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rok
You have 3 things to 'plug in'? From what I see so far you have 2 devices with standard 13A plugs and a 5V adapter?

To clarify what I'm doing, there were going to be three mains plugs but I can run the speakers from a USB socket (which is available from the single board computer) so I only have two plugs to deal with. One is a standard plug going to the LCD monitor and the other is for the computer (5.1V/3A).

Will something like this work in lieu of the wall wart? ... IE mains wires in and USB out.

Assuming a 5.1V/3A version of that is available then that would remove the bulky plug from the equation. The other plug is just a standard kettle lead type. If that's feasible then I could use a standard 2-gang extension - it would be snug but would just fit inside the table.

Several of these and a junction box?

With that approach I would have the mains going into the junction box and splitting out to two separate single extension sockets? That would probably work, too, but I have no experience with connecting mains to a junction box.

I did not know splitters like that were available!

That looks like it would be perfect other than the connector from the power supply - it needs to be a USB-C type for the rPi4 computer. If one of those is available then it looks like a viable solution. I assume I could remove the plug from the splitter and connect it directly to something like this?

71lthUUXrqL._SX425_.jpg

OK, I have searched online and rung a few suppliers. AFAICT, the trailing sockets that have entry for the flex on the shortest side have the sockets aligned so their earth pins are side by side.
If you need the sockets arranged so the earth pins are end on, it would appear that the flex entry is on the longest side.
Sorry.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rok
OK, I have searched online and rung a few suppliers. AFAICT, the trailing sockets that have entry for the flex on the shortest side have the sockets aligned so their earth pins are side by side.
If you need the sockets arranged so the earth pins are end on, it would appear that the flex entry is on the longest side.
Thanks very much for trying to track one down (and for the information as to the reason for the position of the flex).

I suspect it may be to do with the internal layout of the socket.

So close to being perfect but the cable would have to come from the end. Great to know that this sort of thing exists though! ... Unless it would be safe to drill a hole in the end of that socket and redirect the cable to come out there?
Likely impossible; you'd need to fit a cord grip too.
I don't think that it would necessarily be impossible - it looks as if there may be a fair bit of space in there.

As for the need for a cord grip, that would probably not be necessary within the socket, if it is going to be 'fixed' inside an 'enclosure'. Some sort of clip/restraint outside of the socket, close to where the cable enters it, would probably be adequate. It might even be possible to fit a small 'stuffing gland' to the end of the socket's enclosure.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back