New Zealand: using two cables joined together

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I would like to run power to a shed that is 40m from my other shed which is powered by a 10mm cable from the house. I have access to a 100m roll of 6mm tps if I want it but the voltage drop using this is going to be borderline. Now the dumb question. Can I use a run of two 6mm cables joined together to do this?

Sponsored Links
This is a UK site.
You would need to ask this on a NZ site where the regs may be quite different.

By running 2 cables together I guess you mean in Parallel? That is both Earths (green or GR/YW) both Lives (Red) joined together and Both Neutrals (Black or Blue) joined together. That will have the resistance of the circuit, will that be enough? - Honestly, don't know. Will it be legally acceptable? again, honestly don't know.
What I can tell you is the the CSA of 10mm cable is nearly 3 times the CSA of 6mm cable.

Not sure who sets the wiring standards in NZ. The document seems to be Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules; wouldn't be surprised if the IET has a hand in those standards as it does in the UK. There maybe a free to air guide available that will help you, otherwise it's find a friendly local electrician.

What I can tell you is the the CSA of 10mm cable is nearly 3 times the CSA of 6mm cable.

I think you are confusing diameter with CSA in the description of the cable. Conductors are quoted as CSA ( Cross Sectional Area ) and not by diameter

CSA of 6mm diameter is 28 sq mm
CSA of 10mm diameter is 78 sq mm

Sponsored Links
I think you are confusing diameter with CSA in the description of the cable. Conductors are quoted as CSA ( Cross Sectional Area ) and not by diameter

CSA of 6mm diameter is 28 sq mm
CSA of 10mm diameter is 78 sq mm
Oops, true I did. Thank you for the correction.

I would like to run power to a shed that is 40m from my other shed which is powered by a 10mm cable from the house. I have access to a 100m roll of 6mm tps if I want it but the voltage drop using this is going to be borderline. Now the dumb question. Can I use a run of two 6mm cables joined together to do this?

Rejoice!

You have access to
"NEW ZEALAND ELECTRICAL CODE OF PRACTICE HOMEOWNER/OCCUPIER S ELECTRICAL WIRING WORK IN DOMESTIC INSTALLATIONS"
Search on these words and go on from there.

Also,
AS/NZS 3000
3.4.3 "Conductors in parallel"
states
"Current carrying capacities for circuits comprising parallel multi-core cables or groups of single-core cables may be determined from the sum of the current-carrying capacity of the various cables connected in parallel provided that -
a. Cables shall not be less than 4 mm² and
b. grouping of cables shall not affect the cooling of each parallel cable or group, by the ambient air or the ground, and
c. the load current sharing between each parallel cable, or group shall be sufficient to prevent overheating of any cable or group.

(Make of that what you will.)

Back