Newbee help please

If there aren't the apprenticeships, there isn't the work.

The lack of British industry is the real problem and only going to get worse.

I cannot say shoose another career, because there probably isn't one.

But what I can say is that there is no career in plumbing, it is fat with oversubscription.

Sponsored Links
Second that. Things in my area (Bristol) are getting a bit leaner. Lots more competition these days.

You only have to see the number of plumbers' vans driving around most major cities. 25 per cent of the vans around here seem to belong to plumbers. You don't need to phone a plumber from the Yellow Pages any more, just stick you hand out, and hail a plumber like a cab! :(

' The lack of British industry' Is a problem & it will get worse ??? & perhap's we are all in our own way responsible for it , How many of us purchase made in the U.K good's ??? how many British boiler manu's , make there boiler's oversea's ??? how many of us purchase made in Europe ??? boiler's ??? .

Sponsored Links
Are Ideal boiler's made in the u.k ??? or do they manufacture some abroad ???? mini c , h.e , was not made in U.K ????

There's not loads of Plumbers, just loads of CC/CCCs.........They pay a fortune for their mickey mouse cowboy course & can't get a job, so the only thing they can do is go self-employed.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Yes Delta T we are cowboys but i know what i am capable of doing and im not out doing any thing above that. So if it means doing a 10 year self employed apprentiship then so be it, this was only ever to top up my income. I'm really not bothered what you think of the courses, you chose your way we cowboys choose ours.

And its hardly rocket science so in 30 years time i might know how to change a tap or two, but if thats all well doesnt bother me im not a 6 week course i did it over 2 years thankyou.

Tell you what though if you need a help wondering how to lift a letter box up and put a letter through as a timed serve postman im sure i could show you on an intensive course.

Anyone know of a course for removing chips? In particular from shoulders :rolleyes:

Anyone know of a course for removing chips? In particular from shoulders :rolleyes:

You can't do a short course, son. Only way to become a proper time-served chip remover is to do a 4 year apprenticeship!

;)

Anyone know of a course for removing chips?............Try Gavin from Autoglass.
HTH...................... :LOL: :LOL:

Not a bad job a Postie Pat, it's better than walking the streets.

Seriously, is a former Postie going to be any good at Plumbing?? Most Postmen I know are as thick as mince!!! They can't even get the right letters through the right letterbox, I mean how difficult can it be FFS!

Most plumbers are stretched beyond their abilities too, especially time served ones who have only done one small part of the trade for their entire experience..

im sorry i couldnt READ your last post as im a postman,

Seriously though if you really think that noone other than a 16 year old school leaver apprentice can become a plumber then you really have no argument. that is the silliest comment i have ever read.

Anyone can become a plumber and like all jobs and anything else you get better and more knowledgeable with time.

But come on lets end this now i just wanted a list of every day tools that you would need for most jobs. I have these now and im thankful. Delta T in 10 years time if i came back with a gas safe certificate and nvq level 4 or above would you still say im a cowboy probably but its a long ladder and we all start somewhere. you may be near the top and yes i may be on the first rung but its a career path hence the progression up it.

Cheers Daz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back