Newbie nervous about loft damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a house that was built in 2007 and I want to board the loft just to make it more convenient when storing boxes of old gaming gear/clothes/bedding and toys.

I've been looking at the loft boards you can buy at the diy stores, but on feeling the weight of just a pack of 3, I'm not sure whether the beams are good enough to take it. I spoke to the house builders who took the line that its not for storage, so no advice there. The beams are just over 4.5 inches wide, and I'm guessing because its a new build, they've used the least widest possible to get the job done.

I've looked around at other peoples conversations/recommendations. I've seen people suggest that 6" or 8" beams are required, or to cross batten before you lay the boards, but honestly I'm unsure.

Any advice is appreciated. Being our biggest investment ever, I dont want to overload it and cause structural damage to the roof or internal walls/ceilings.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
My loft is constructed using the older 4" X 2" (100mm X 47mm) joists and are at 400mm centres. These are more than adequate to take the loft boards I have installed. Don't forget the load is taken across a number of the joists.

I have old TV's, packing crates, old full Tes chests, suitcases full of clothes and all the other detrious of a family stored in my loft and it is fine.

As long as you are not storing something really heavy I am sure you will be fine. What are your joists thicknesses - I would guess similar to mine.

thanks for the reply Toptec.

The joints are:
4 3/4 inch width
1 1/2 inch thick

and 22 inch apart from each other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back