newbie seeking advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all, my name is andrew i currently live in newport gwent enjoy diy especially electrics and have been doing this for many years at non notifiable levels and working on my car and came from a auto electrical mechanical background previously to my current line of work. iam very interested in learning from people and respect others point of views. my question is; in the next few months iam embarking on a kitchen rewire amongst other new circuits with labc inspection and testing at my parents home in cardiff. iam currently designing the new kitchen circuit and would apprieciate oppinions on radial circuit or ring circuit ?? worried about an unbalanced load as washing machine and tumble drier will be close to each other was thinking either

A. 20amp mcb using 4mm cable to serve 3 double sockets , 3 fcu,s ( washing machine, tumble drier , fridge) radial or

b. 32 amp mcb , 2.5mm cable as a ring
The freezer was going to have a seperate 16amp mcb. many thanks andrew.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't advise putting the radial in if the sockets included would be for kitchen appliances (kettle, toaster etc)

On one of the rewires I am doing, I have supplied a ring to the kitchen alone, also a 'utility' circuit radial which goes to a dual box with a fcu for the washing machine and a fcu for the dishwasher

As you are considering a single circuit for washing machine, T/dryer, and fridge, I guess also this circuit would supply the socket outlets for above worktop appliances too.
I'd suggest 32 amp Ring final, this will share the load better.
On you under worktop appliances, I'd recommend using switched fused connection units at above worktop height for ease of isolation.
As this are new circuits RCD protection will be likely required,
also invest in The on-site guide cost about £16-20 worth every penny

thank you prentice boy of derry and widdler for your valued input. my plan included the fcu above worktop and unswitched socket outlet below worktop but thats a good idea about utility circuit seperate would that be a radial at 16 or 20 amp?? many thanks also for the on site guide recommendation i will get that and have read bs 7671 but dont know it from heart :D . the new circuit will be runnning from a new cu with dual load rcds and iam fortunate that a dno dp isolater is installed. the house has a tns earth but the clamp hasnt got a label or met before cu will contact dno to get upgrade oh and meter leads to 25mm currently 10mm.

Sponsored Links
thank you widdler thats really helpful and running a radial to this location for utility will be easier than the ring!!! do you know what bc are like to deal with in general? i understand theres first fix and second fix inspections and then the testing but are they friendly to diyers or a pain i dont mind constructive advice and welcome it

many thanks also for the on site guide recommendation i will get that and have read bs 7671 but dont know it from heart :D .
You don't Know BS7671:2008 from heart :!: How dare you ;)

Use Switched FCU not un-switched ones, will save you having to unplug it when it needs isolating.
Requirements: A bit of BS7671 just in case this is a bit that's not etched in your heart.
Appliances that are built into kitchen cabinets, should have be connected to a socket outlet or S/FCU that is accessible when the appliance is in place and in normal use.

thanks prentice boy, i did nvqs in social care more recently and compared to there wordings bs7671 was a walk in the park to understand :LOL: i know i got a lot to learn in electrics but i feel i have a good understanding to work on and would always listen to more experienced people.

thank you widdler thats really helpful and running a radial to this location for utility will be easier than the ring!!! do you know what bc are like to deal with in general? i understand theres first fix and second fix inspections and then the testing but are they friendly to diyers or a pain i dont mind constructive advice and welcome it

Be confident in yourself, maintain eye contact, keep your shoulders up, have a pen and paper ready to show them you respect their advice and reason for being there and that you will take everything they say on board. You'll find that it goes very well and if their are any problems they will talk to you in a dignified manor. I have had numerous meetings with these people all round the home counties and it is always ok.

;) cheers for the advice, i try to listen to other peoples input and always value it so sounds like i will be just fine with bc if i stick to my personal values . oh do have another question though, the house was built in 1920s roughly last rewire was late 1960s again a guess and currently the house has no cross bonding to the tn-s earth but the water pipe coming in is lead, gas pipe fine but needs earth clamp with 10mm cable . recently a new stoptap was fitted to the water service pipe with a short length of copper either side but how do i earth the lead??

Sush don't let him hear us
No you'll find out if you stick around :evil:

andrew32 wasn't being awkward about S/FCU's it makes sense to install them and it's a guideline in the requiremnets. If you want learn your on the right forum but sometimes you need a thick skin ;)

:D :D :D ok i will look forward to meet bas. i can take banter , critism , and other peoples oppinion seems a really nice bunch of ppl to learn new things from was a little embarassed to post when theres much more experienced ppl here but i feel welcome cheers guys

No worries!
welcome aboard the madhouse :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Remember when applying to BCs for your work, you need to make the application in advance of starting work they charge a fee(£130ish)
Could take a few days before they allow you to start, they will inspect on first fix then again for inspect and tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back